1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by BertieBassett2, Apr 12, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Well, not afraid, exactly, more like bored to death! Her novel Mrs Dalloway has been chosen at the last minute for our Book Club session next week. Struggling is putting it mildly - I last read To the Lighthouse forty years ago for my degree and I knew there was a good reason I hadn't read any of her work since! I'm about half way through and, yes, I get it's stream of consciousness but James Joyce did it to death in Ulysses. Maybe I'm just a heathen but I cannot enjoy this story - in one sentence I counted 7 commas and 8 semi-colons! Maybe one of you erudite types can convince me otherwise - good luck! (To put my angst into context, we were supposed to be discussing Artemis (Andy Weir) next week, but the supporter of the book has pulled out! Hmm, talk about the sublime to the ridiculous! Rant over!

FarahAB and blueskydreaming like this.
  2. FarahAB

FarahAB New commenter

Mrs Dalloway was chosen for our bookclub too, and given how short it is, I thought I would fly through it. It took me two months and a lot of effort to finish it. I truly struggled, probably skim read half of it, and breathed a huge sigh of relief when it was done.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

It just goes to show the snobbery inherent in the literary world. This is a book which has always been hyped to the hilt but without any thought for us ordinary mortals who may not have the stamina for such writing!

FarahAB likes this.