1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whoosh bottle rocket!

Discussion in 'Science' started by blazer, Jan 20, 2011.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Had a bit of a play about with this. We demo the whoosh bottle using a water cooler bottle. very effective. However i was wondering if you could use the same raction to launch a rocket! Well you can! Use a 3 litre PET pop bottle. Pour in about 5ml of ethanol and give it a really good shake so that the whole inside of the bottle is 'wet'.

Invert the bottle on a clamp stand (put the vertical rod up inside the bottle). Use a long splint to light the fumes at the bottom of the bottle. The rocket launches with a very satisfying whoosh and leaves behind a very impressive pool of flame as the excess ethanol comes out the bottom (did I mention to put the clamp stand on a bench mat)?

Not as noisy as the Methane rockets so no need for ear defenders and a proper flame!

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Had a bit of a play about with this. We demo the whoosh bottle using a water cooler bottle. very effective. However i was wondering if you could use the same raction to launch a rocket! Well you can! Use a 3 litre PET pop bottle. Pour in about 5ml of ethanol and give it a really good shake so that the whole inside of the bottle is 'wet'.

Invert the bottle on a clamp stand (put the vertical rod up inside the bottle). Use a long splint to light the fumes at the bottom of the bottle. The rocket launches with a very satisfying whoosh and leaves behind a very impressive pool of flame as the excess ethanol comes out the bottom (did I mention to put the clamp stand on a bench mat)?

Not as noisy as the Methane rockets so no need for ear defenders and a proper flame!

3. briggs1209

briggs1209 New commenter

excellent, what kind of height did you get ? Could it be done in a large school hall ?

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yes easily just make sure you are not under lights or the projector! Try it outside first and see how it goes.

If you are planning to do multiple launches you have to use a fresh bottle each time as it takes quite a while for the air to diffuse back into the bottle .

5. briggs1209

briggs1209 New commenter

thanks for the info, tried it yesterday - went great.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Did you do it inside or outside?

7. Have you spoken to CLEAPSS about this?

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Cleaps are fine with the whoosh bottle and this is just the same thing but about 20 times smaller and inverted!

9. briggs1209

briggs1209 New commenter

inside, in the hall. 5ml of ethanol in a two-litre bottle. Hit the ceiling, not hard but I will have to take it outside next time.

10. The reason I mentioned CLEAPSS is because the 'whoosh bottle' RA prepared by them clearly advises 'do not deviate from the following risk assessment'.
    Although the bottle is much smaller, it is mobile and obviously quite powerful if it reaches school hall ceilings! I would immediately think that the RA should include the need for pupils to be a considerable distance away in case the rocket takes a wrong turn.

11. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

You don't want this to happen.....

[​IMG]

Rob Butler Fiendishlyclever.com

12. love it! :D