1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whooping should be banned because it excludes deaf people, Nation Union of Students say

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Apr 28, 2017.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

What be banned next according to the NUS, I wonder?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...ned-beause-excludes-deaf-people-nation-union/

Students who whoop, cheer and clap should face “consequences” because they are excluding deaf people, delegates at the National Union of Students conference said.

Audience members were repeatedly warned that they must cease whooping to express support for a speaker, because it has a “serious impact” on the accessibility of the conference.

Delegates at the NUS annual conference in Brighton were encouraged to use “jazz hands” instead of clapping - where students wave their hands in the air - as this is deemed a more inclusive form of expression.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't tell the Americans then.

FrankWolley likes this.
  3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Is it April 1st by any chance?

FrankWolley and Laphroig like this.
  4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

'Jazz hands" could be considered to exclude another minority amongst NUS organisers - those with a brain cell!

sbkrobson and Laphroig like this.
  5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I'm glad that the young are looking for things to campaign about and try and change, but this seems a little silly to me. After all, one could say that signing excludes the voiced, ---- but I quickly add, one doesn't.

lanokia and sbkrobson like this.
  6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

However this would be excluding visually impaired delegates who couldn't see the "jazz hands". :(

However I do have a solution, a fully sighted person and is assigned as a mentor for every visually impaired delegate. They accompany and sit next to their mentee. When other students wave jazz hands the mentor has special permission to "whoop" to their mentee who can then fully appreciate the debate. :)

I wonder if it is possible to train any guide dogs at the event to bark when jazz hands are waved for the same reason.o_O

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Whooping should be banned per se.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Whenever I watch the Masters golf on Telly - I have to turn the sound down.

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Oh yes, in fact I should think they could be successful members of the executive committee.

10. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

This

nomad likes this.
  11. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

So some people with a specific disability requested that the other people at the conference be considerate of said disability by not making too much noise during the speeches as it made it hard for them to hear what was being said.
    Outrageous.
    What next? They'll be asking us not to eat crisps in the theatre and telling us that we all have to turn our mobile off before the performance starts so that everybody can enjoy the show next. Bloody snowflakes.

12. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Why would anyone choose to talk through noise if they want their argument to be heard? Do speakers at these conferences not have enough sense to wait until the clapping's died down before carrying on speaking or to signal that they want to continue and will do so when everyone quietens down?

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When did whooping become a thing? Ban it altogether so everyone can hear and as @anotherauntsally said speakers should wait for clapping to die down before speaking.

lanokia likes this.
  14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Did they?
    I must have missed that in the various reports on the conference

15. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

It says in the linked article that they told delegates that they'd had a number of requests that people stop whooping. I presumed they would have come from people who found it hard to hear because of the whooping (hence the reference to people with hearing difficulties) but I guess they could have come from anyone.

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I entirely agree. On Question Time last night, a member of the audience calmly demolished Teresa May's election campaign as it so far stands, by pointing out that it hasn't presented any policies to vote for but has solely focused on attacking Jeremy Corbyn. Regrettably, the audience interrupted him with their clapping and cheering midway through his comments, so the full impact of his message didn't come through as well as it would have done if they'd kept their applause until the end.

I think I may be becoming a grumpy old man, much like the person in front of us when we went to see Stephane Grappelli with the Diz Dizley trio at the Fairfield Hall in the 70s. My friend was tapping his foot along to the swing when the old git in front turned round and shouted at him "I've come here to listen to HIM, not you!"

You see, I find it a real disappointment when I search for a song on youtube and get rewarded with the live versions that include all the whooping, whistling and cheering. It was the same when the last night of the proms was taken over by idiots tooting bike horns.

[​IMG]

17. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I presumed the same at first but after re-reading and also reading a couple of other reports I was not and am still not sure that my presumption was correct

18. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

It comes from people who try to exert control over other people.

19. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I also thought that it was April 1st in a sort of ground hop day way:D.

As someone pointed out, partially sighted or those whom have no sight at all should complain that they cannot see the jazz hands. Also,those who hate jazz should say that jazz hands makes them feel sick. Those who hate worms,should say jazz hands make them feel terrified as the waving hands and wiggling fingers looks like worms taking over the conference.:) Those who have a phobia of hands,(Chirophobia) should demand that they use their feet to show appreciation instead, of course this then sends shivers up the spine of those Chirophobics whom fear feet and those of us who are plain fed up of this sort of snowflake, precious behaviour should request that clapping and whooping are the norm but should be done at the end of the speech or as already mentioned the speaker should wait for silence.

Please note, this is not meant to be insensitive to those whom have phobias -I have one to.

It's all too much. :D

Equal opportunities was never meant to for these sorts of interpretations.

minnie me likes this.
  20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It's hardly inclusive for Nazis is it?

However, as the NUS was always the political equivalent of a ball pool, where the kids play harmlessly whilst the adults get on with proper adult conversations, I doubt if this ruling will have much impact in the real world.

Pomz likes this.