1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole text or text extracts for Guided Reading?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CarrieV, Aug 3, 2012.

1. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Personally I prefer whole texts, it's harder to discuss story structure and prediction with extracts. However I would agree about the drawbacks too, we never seem to finish a book! Last year we trialled using shorter books ( we have the Big Cat series) which managed to nearly solve both problems. The range of books isn't there obviously so we compromised by using a bit of both! The Big Cat books would take a couple of sessions to get through, I think I did 2 a term and any extra weeks we looked at poetry ( The Lady of Shallot was a HUGE hit!) The books are also levelled, which helps!

2. We use some really good comprehension exercises for discussion during focused guided reading and then each group will choose a book to share and read and discuss together when they are not reading with me. I don't like just reading longer books at it can take a very long time to get through them and some children missed out chunks if they were away and some didn't get overly excited by the books. I also don't like just reading short extracts so a combination works well for me. We can still discuss the books that they read as a group and I can still ask questions about what they have read, what will happen next etc but I also know that the oral comprehension work covers the skills such as using inference and deduction, fact retrieval etc.

3. I've used extracts, short stories and a range of texts including those fab 'how to take care of your guinea pig' leaflets you get from pets at home! In addition to this I always have a class novel on the go which we read regularly. And although I don't stop and start when I'm reading, we'll often discuss the text before and after reading. One of my independent guided reading texts will be linked to the class novel too. This has helped my lower ability to develop thir understanding of the meatier texts they can't always decode for themselves.

4. Elfreda6969

Elfreda6969 New commenter

Could you share what resources you use. thanks