1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

whole school writing assessment task

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ELLIS73, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Hello Everyone
    I would like to set a whole school writing task so that we can check that we are levelling consistently from Y1 to Y6. Does anyone have any ideas what the task could be, what genre of writing and / or a stimulus? Has anyone done this or something similar? Please help.

2. This sounds good.

UP

3. I am thinking of using a book as a stimulus but cannot think of a genre other than narrative that spans all year groups. We wanted to try a non fiction piece.
    Perhaps a recount of an event in a book?
    Any ideas?

4. In my school we do this every term. 1st term was instructions on how to make a sandwich (had dire results across school). head led an assembly which showed what to use what order to do things, etc.

The last one we did was a report on guide dogs. we had a visitor into school (with his dog). he informed the children about what the dog does for him, how he trains, how the dog knows which wa sto turn, etc. not sure the effects of this across the school.

5. Thank you. Instructions could be a good one to try. lots of stimuli. I think I would like to try recount writing this time though. Or I might suggest we do a short task (instructions) and a longer task a recount???
    But a recount of what?

6. We start in Reception and the children do a piece of writing each half term in a special book which is used just for this assessed piece.The children have no help so the marking is consistent,we use levelling criteria that is stuck in the book.
    So 6 pieces a year.We have done whole school same topic eg magic carpet story....and the staff have moderated the books in a staff meeting.

7. babyjeebus

babyjeebus New commenter

We recently did 'my favourite food' which was awful.

I teach Y1 and all my children wrote was I like... because it is nice.

What made it worse was that I'd just taught fairy tales for 5 weeks and they'd produced some brilliant independent stories that the head said I couldn't use for assessment. As a result, only 5 of my children appear to have improved since last term! It just shows how important our input is before they write

8. I like the Alan Peat idea. And the idea of having a writing assessment book. Thank you for sharing.
    I am wondering about persuasive writing or letter writing using the picture book Click Clack Moo??

9. Never thought of assessing in this way. Ace ideas. Thanks.

10. I think I am going to do Man on the Moon by Simon Bertram. I think it works well on a number of levels and so crosses all year groups. Each teacher will have the same resource for their interactive whiteboard and a copy of the story to share with their class and then have a 10 min planning time and 45 minute writing time to write a recount in the form of a letter. Recounting what the man on the moon does each day. What do people think?
    Would anyone like the Smart Notebook resource I have made?

11. sallymgoodman

sallymgoodman New commenter

The Ros Wilson course I went on recommended using a letter of some sort.

12. sallymgoodman

sallymgoodman New commenter

13. I will upload to resources section at the weekend

14. We do whole school writing assessments 3 times a year keeping them in an evidence book. They are assessed using the Ros Wilson levels.

The subject is chosen by the literacy co-ordinator, I think she has used passed SAT's papers writing tasks - The pebble and information you would tell someone new joining your school. The pebble didn't go down to well in y1 but the information to someone joining the school really showed off their writing, some 2a's.

Every class has to use the same format, give the same instructions, no input from the teacher or shared ideas, walls have to be covered and the children have to 'have a go' without support from anyone (they're used to this because of the big write)

Its the only way to get a true assessment across the school.

15. Any chance I could have a copy of your Whiteboard resources - I have just bought the book and love it so I think I will use it as part of my first week.

Many thanks

cazza_jones@hotmail.com

16. I love these ideas too. Am taking over as Literacy Co-ordinator in September and know that writing assessment is a major focus for this year. We use a very detailed grid (not sure where it has come from) to mark our pieces of work but all teachers commenting that the levels given by this are far lower than those given when levelled according to QCA criteria.
    Can anyone give me any suggestions of how they assess and levl writing across both Key Stages in their school? Which marking criteria so you use?
    Any help would be much appreciated!

17. I would show the children pictures by Paul Klee, show the portrait type ones(there are three that are different)

After that I would talk about how we perceive each other, this could link in with close observational drawing of each other, also lots of emotional/feeling type descriptions(in writing)

As a spin off it could lead in to small speeches (about our friends)

18. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We do this when we get back every September. They write a recount of their summer holidays. Works for us.

19. giraffe

giraffe New commenter