1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole school weekly mental maths tests primary school

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Kayleymay, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Kayleymay

Kayleymay New commenter

Hi All,

I have recently been appointed as numeracy lead within my school and I am currently trying to adapt/change the current system of weekly mental maths tests. I have found the Rising Stars scheme (pricey I know) but it looks like everything I need (new curriculum, weekly tests, all year groups, photocopier sheets etc).

I just wondered if anyone has used it and can give me some honest feedback, or if anyone uses another scheme or just a successful way of administering whole school mental maths tests?

Thank you!!

2. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

If you're insisting on weekly mental maths tests, I'd look at saving your money and focus on up skilling staff in making their own. Once staff are in the groove and templates are set up they don't take long to make and they can focus on areas of development more and have a smaller percentage of questions related to strengths to keep practising.

Problem with whole school schemes is they won't take in to account where your children are and what they actually need to be practising during mental maths tests.

Alternatively, I currently have 6 questions every morning as a 5 minute starter where we practise key arithmetic skills. Low stakes as isn't a test and they can practise regularly across a range of topics and address weaknesses. I've had great success the last few years doing it.

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I use an old set of rising stars times table sheets. I extended them to divides, mixed and infinity (uber hard) myself.
    50 questions in 5 mins (year 4) move on to the next one if you get 50/50.
    Used weekly, it has worked well for me over 7 years in Years 4,5,6 and I get moaned at by the children if we can't fit it in. A bit of a faf to set up but it really does get them learning their tables and they do move up through the year.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i agree lots of little practice works the best of all. biggest thing is to share with other staff.
    Regarding writing all your own tests. Nice if you have time BUT do price it up realistically. Do teachers really have all that time or they being forced to do less useful things by various layers of management? How much is the scheme, is it in a format that you can adapt easily as you go along? Compare that cost to the realistic time at say £20 an hour for your own staff to write something similar.
    Alternatively, is the White Rode Hub stuff still around online, its pretty good too.
    Most of all, decide what to use and then stick with it for long enough to find if it works. Changing two or three times during the year will be the very worst thing you can do.

krisgreg30 likes this.
  5. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

Apologies for asking the dumb questions (secondary so don't know the answer)

If you are doing a whole school series of tests how many different sets would you produce, KS1 & KS2 or one for each year?

Taking the old KS2 SATS mental papers as examples, are these the kind of questions you want? If not what type of questions would be of use?

How often do you test?

6. jonwood_uk

jonwood_uk New commenter

Try looking at mathsbox with their weekly skills tests, not sure how much it is but we have used them (secondary school) they go down as far as Y5. They focus on 10 different skills each half term