1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole School Times Tables

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by SJRose23, Nov 6, 2018.

1. SJRose23

SJRose23 New commenter

Hi,

I've just started a new school as maths lead. We are looking at different ways to introduce some non-negotiables for times tables practise. Starting in Y1 with patterns and going through to Y4 in prep for the TT test next year.

I have done it in various ways previously and my current school use Times Tables Rockstars. Although this is a really good resource and the children are REALLY good at it, when presented with tables in a different way, they flounder. For this reason, we need another approach.

We have thought of simply having the children write out a specific timestable when they come in in the morning alongside their other morning tasks but I'm not sure this will be enough.

Does anyone do anything that really works or have any ideas that we could try out?

Many thanks!

2. Walt3r

Walt3r New commenter

My school also use TTRStars and we have seen significant improvement in children's knowledge and confidence in maths. I get what you say about presenting tables in a different way and the children 'floundering', we experience the same. As maths lead, I have met with staff and we agreed to make VERY explicit when times tables have been applied to a question. We have asked 'Where is the times table in this question. Some staff have taken to counting how many times children needed times tables to answer a question - there is a times table tally on the maths wall! The children needed this direction and we are seeing progress in them 'noticing' when they need their times tables. Good luck.

strawbs and SJRose23 like this.
  3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Could you continue to use TT Rockstars but add a couple of "challenge" questions, maybe a bank of questions or a powerpoint saved centrally. As you identify problems (with help from class teachers/TAs hopefully) you can write new questions in a similar style, once you have a few sample questions you can then repeat the same question with different times tables. I can't remember if TT rockstars asks inverse questions as that has often been the sticking point in my experience.
    More work involved, but I've used a set of timestables 50 and then divide 50 then mixed 50 for many years. Once they score 50, they move on to the next sheet with self marking.

4. ninariley

ninariley New commenter

1: Children should start with repeated addition - with pictures.
    2: Move on to doing the multiples 0 , 2, 4, 6, 8 ...
    3: Move on to writing the tables out eg. 2 x 1 = 2 , 2 x 2 = 4 etc... to 2 x 12 =
    4: Move on to doing picture work with division - it should be taught alongside times table , so they understand how they are related.
    5: Move on to worded problems - basic. ( may be later on if need be)
    6: Play games online and paper based.
    7: Recite tables.
    8: Teach each other on the board.
    9: Sing songs.
    10: Watch videos - songs ...
    It will take weeks / months but you will see a real improvement. Mix it up and they will have fun! Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018