1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole school spelling competition

Discussion in 'Primary' started by s1oux, Sep 6, 2015.

1. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

Has anyone held one? I'm looking for good ideas - we want one where a poor speller can compete with a good speller - where it's more about progress than innate ability.

Any ideas?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I have sent you a PM as each time I tried to reply I wasn't getting a reply box to post a message. I have one now!

There was a thread here that discussed Spelling Bees and had some ideas that might be of interest to you.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Just wondering if the children who struggle with spelling will want to compete with those who don't ? Failure isn't much fun . If you want to acknowledge effort, perseverance , resilience , progress in this skill then why not just reward rather than launch into a whole school spelling ' test ' .

4. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

Thanks Marlin - that looks perfect!

5. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

Is that not the same argument that people use to get rid of sports days?

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I worked in a very challenging school ( secondary - top 1 % social deprivation ) with many disaffected students who invariably and in spite of a skilled and compassionate staff rejected many areas of the curruculum - the exception being PE. Attendance at and participation in lessons were exemplary and many loved the opportunity to take part in Sports Day . I think it was about team work and not being stapled to a desk . They did actually perceive their taking part as being on a level playing field ( excuse the pun ) which is why this ' celebration ' was inclusive and rewarding .Yes I take your point though. Some children thrive on competition, others don't.

7. JDBlue1991

JDBlue1991 New commenter

Hi Marlin,

Would you mind sending me your ideas also? I'm really interested in starting up the same thing.

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

JDBlur -

Follow the link in my post. They weren't my ideas btw.