1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole school rewards

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Rob2711, Dec 13, 2011.

1. I am looking to change the rewards system at our school. At present, the lower school (Years 7-9) receive 'goods' which are given by staff and collected as part of an inter-tutorial competetion. The students who receive more than 25 good in a term receive a cinema/book token etc. The 'goods' also contribute to an inter-tutorial competition. Subjects also nominate a 'student of the week', with the overall 'student of the week' receiving a certificate and early entry into lunch. The upper school only have the student of the week award.
    As a school, we also have subject, attainment, progress and attendance rewards given at special assemblies in October.
    Our behaviour has very recently been judged as good by ofsted, with them stating that there should be x5 the rewards compared to the sanctions and that there should be evidence of every pupil receiving a reward of some sort. We were able to achieve that, but still it does not seem to be the right way of going about it in my opinion.
    Any thoughts? What is out there? Our budget as a rural school is very limited.
    It would also be useful to have something that the upper school would value.

2. I am looking to change the rewards system at our school. At present, the lower school (Years 7-9) receive 'goods' which are given by staff and collected as part of an inter-tutorial competetion. The students who receive more than 25 good in a term receive a cinema/book token etc. The 'goods' also contribute to an inter-tutorial competition. Subjects also nominate a 'student of the week', with the overall 'student of the week' receiving a certificate and early entry into lunch. The upper school only have the student of the week award.
    As a school, we also have subject, attainment, progress and attendance rewards given at special assemblies in October.
    Our behaviour has very recently been judged as good by ofsted, with them stating that there should be x5 the rewards compared to the sanctions and that there should be evidence of every pupil receiving a reward of some sort. We were able to achieve that, but still it does not seem to be the right way of going about it in my opinion.
    Any thoughts? What is out there? Our budget as a rural school is very limited.
    It would also be useful to have something that the upper school would value.

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Just where do they get that **** from?

Just when is the profession going to stand up to them and tell them to take their whole regime and park it outside the gates?

4. I am going to be a bit more diplomatic, erm it seems a bit over the top and complicated. Keep it simple, I presume its a small school if you can afford to run such a system.
    One of the best systems I've seen is a positive behaviour system where students collect merits, they can get two a lesson. The first one is for doing everything correctly the second one is for going above what is considered normal expectations.
    At the end of the half term those in the top 20% get a reward. Nice and simple, works a treat and it rewards those quiet middle type children, if you know what I mean.

5. Thanks for replying to the question.