1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole School Reward Systems

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by dmcgrath8, Nov 16, 2016.

1. dmcgrath8

dmcgrath8 New commenter

Hi there, we are looking to develop our current whole school reward system at our academy, at teh moment the pupisl receive;
    Stars/Smilies relating to behaviour or work effort
    5 of those= 1 merit
    Bronze-Platinum badges based on amount of merits
    These are linked to reward trips/ privileges fro pupils

In theory it seems fine, however it has become stagnant and I was wondering if anyone has a system that they feel is consistent and works across key stages
    Any help would be lovely

2. duncwilson

duncwilson New commenter

Hi there,

You might like to take at www.classcharts.com - it has a built in rewards store.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

4. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

5. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

We have something similar where cards tally up to a bronze, silver or gold star. In theory its a good idea but then the children want a good card just for doing what they should be getting right.

Then they start fiddling around counting them in class and i have to keep saying 'will you put them away and focus please!'

I can definitely see the intrinsic motivation in most children to get these cards as it has a feel good factor. I think a few children may possibly have low self esteem. One or two will want to give up easily but we had a good breakthrough the other day where a girl in my class just beamed at me and said with the biggest smile ever "miss i know how to do the maths thing we were doing yesterday... im on the next stage now!"

I just wanted to hug her. I gave her a high five clap and some house points for doing well in her work.

We do have house groups which i think is good fun and we had a house party last week (which i was present at) and it was fun with lasers, music and food. The kids loved it!!