1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole school number facts and times tables system

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fantong, Dec 5, 2011.

1. I'm looking for a simple system that as Head I can use to motivate the whole school in number facts and times table learning. Has anyone got a programme including a progression of facts and suggestions for procedures? Any ideas very gratefully received. Many thank

2. I'm looking for a simple system that as Head I can use to motivate the whole school in number facts and times table learning. Has anyone got a programme including a progression of facts and suggestions for procedures? Any ideas very gratefully received. Many thank

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. I am an NQT in a large primary school and the head has implemented a new system this year to help improve timetables. The children take part in a timetable challenge once a week during maths. The first challenge is a set of 50 questions (using a small range of the timetables) and if they get all correct they earn there bronze star badge (these have been bought in and those who have earned them wear them proudly all he time). Once they complete this challenge they move onto silver challenge (100 questions, less time, including all timetables) this time earning a silver star badge, finally the gold challenge which is 100 questions, less time and includes division facts! The children love this and are so motivated to earn their stars. Most have begged for practise sheets. This is a whole school event and is celebrated every Friday in assembly where new children get their stars. There is also a top gear style leader board in upper school where children who have their gold are now challenging each other to get all questions finished in a quicker time.

(sorry for no paragraphs written on the phone!)