1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole school maths targets!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gsm1380, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I am the numeracy co-ordinator at my school and I need to implement a whole school approach to target setting in maths. I really feel that layered targets, which we have had in place for the past 3 years or so, are not effective at all! I don't think the children know them and I don't think staff see a purpose too them. In fact, I have only changed ours twice last year and nobody said anything!

Are there alternatives? Does anyone have an example of a goo whole-school approach to target setting? Or any specific advice? That would be great!

Many thanks.

2. We found the same and now use levelled targets. There are a number of examples on the web. Class teaching is now more specifically differentiated to NC sub-levels the children are at and the next steps they need . The targets identify these more clearly and the children make progress.

3. We never di go down the route of using APP and stuck to our own stranded sheets for maths. These are sublevelled and linked to average point scores as well as showing each of the 4 ATs for each sublevel/APS.
    We turned AT1 and AT2 strands into 'I can' statements and have stuck these into the front of the children's maths books. They are stuck in so that they 'flip' up and can be seen at all times no matter where the child is working in the book. We chose AT1 and AT2 as they are more widely covered. If AT3 and AT4 were being taught, layered targets would be displayed in the classroom for that unit/block/focus of work. The targets are highlight once evidence has been seen at least 3 times.
    If there is a whole school target this would come from an analysis of maths across the school and agreeing which area is the focus - for example if it is linked to 4 operations or even multiplication - then this would form the basis of layered targets across the school.

4. Opera Diva - I have looked on your resources section and have got the maths assessment document which is very useful to break down each level so thank you for providing that. Would their be any way you could put the target statements you stick in to books on to the resources section? I know I would find these useful, as would many others. Thank you in advance. www

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Some of us in my school use the maths targets from here (again MA1 and MA2 ones in books and on display permanently)
    http://www.teachingessentials.co.uk/targetsetting.html

The rest of our staff use nothing! Can you tell in the outcomes for the children? NOPES!