1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole school literacy

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Helenita, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Helenita

Helenita New commenter

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">Hi Everyone, I have recently been given the task of promoting and improving literacy across the school. I am hoping some of you will be able to share with me your own ideas on how to improve literacy across the whole school. I am hoping to create a programme that will involve each year group, however I am aware the school are reluctant to spend money at this time,so the cheaper the ideas the better ;)!! Thanks a lot, Helenita </td></tr></table>

2. Helenita

Helenita New commenter

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">Hi Everyone, I have recently been given the task of promoting and improving literacy across the school. I am hoping some of you will be able to share with me your own ideas on how to improve literacy across the whole school. I am hoping to create a programme that will involve each year group, however I am aware the school are reluctant to spend money at this time,so the cheaper the ideas the better ;)!! Thanks a lot, Helenita </td></tr></table>

3. Dodros

Dodros Established commenter

Find out what each National Curriculum core and foundation subject is doing to promote literacy development. A few years ago I created a section on my website dedicated to basic skills - literacy and numeracy - within school subjects and the results of my searches can be found at:
    http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/nc/basic/index.html
    I haven't worked on the links for quite a while and I expect many or most will now be dead, but at least you can see how much work was being done on literacy within subjects at one time. At my own school, I was particularly impressed by the efforts of the science department to promote knowledge of technical terms through spelling tests and to teach the art of well-structured write-ups of experiments. I also witnessed problems when a department not commonly associated with literacy development - the Maths department - noticed comprehension issues with the rubrics of worksheets and examinations. Sometimes students who don't have problems with sums expressed entirely in numbers and signs suddenly experience difficulties when maths problems are expressed in words instead.