1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole School issues- advice needed!

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by tiredzzz, Jan 13, 2009.

1. I hope I don't sound stupid here. I recently applied (and got down to the last 2) for an Assistant Head post. The other candidate, they said, had more knowledge of whole school issues. Does anyone have a quick reference to the latest issues/legislation? I thought I was ok, but feeling a little under confident. Any help most gratefully received! (I would ask the deputy but he'll start interviewing me and I can't face it!)

2. I hope I don't sound stupid here. I recently applied (and got down to the last 2) for an Assistant Head post. The other candidate, they said, had more knowledge of whole school issues. Does anyone have a quick reference to the latest issues/legislation? I thought I was ok, but feeling a little under confident. Any help most gratefully received! (I would ask the deputy but he'll start interviewing me and I can't face it!)

3. Sorry to hear you were not successful this time! usually when feedback includes that, it means specifically to that school - did they send you a copy of the school development plan etc for you to go over before the interview? If not, I would ask for a copy next time and then identify one or two whole school issues for the school to which you are applying and have well prepared examples of how your skills might help contribute towards them. Remember, governing bodies and heads want to see that you want to work at THEIR school, not just any school, so you need to gauge your 'pitch' accordingly.
    Hot topics recently have been behaviour management, use of data to raise attainment, under-achievement of ethnic and FSM groups etc. But it has to be gauged to school. Good luck!

4. Thank you ed! That's really helpful. Much appreciated. Any other thoughts very welcome!