1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

whole-school homework structure

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fab165, Jul 3, 2016.

1. fab165

fab165 New commenter

Hello everyone,
    I am looking to revamp our homework system for September so that it meets the needs of our children. We will have non-negotiables e.g. reading/spelling etc but we will introduce an 'experience' list which will be given each half term. Each year group will have a different table to chose from and each week, children will choose a task to complete e.g. write a shopping list with your parents, make a daily compliment to someone, make someone breakfast in bed, travel on a bus with an adult etc. Does anyone do anything similar that could give me some ideas or top tips on implementing this style of homework?
    Thanks in advance...
    Fab165 :)

2. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

Do a search online for 'Chilli Challenge Homework'. This should throw up some ideas.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Modelling social skills should be embedded as something you do routinely in class / around the school I would have thought. Re your ' experience ' list - I just don't understand why you feel it is necessary to create one ? Are these suggestions which the children buy into ? Do you have to / want to formalise under the umbrella of ' homework' ? Children may choose an activity but what happens when they don't/ can't follow through. Do you document when it is accomplished ? Praise or punish depending on the outcome ? Better still I think to ensure that your non negotiables are relevant, differentiated and accessible.

4. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

We used to have a 'take away homework menu' which had a range of differentiated activities on. Children could choose to do these, or not. We gave them reward points according to what they did but there was no pressure at all. The activities ranged from making models to finding out.....
    As a school we believe that there are non negotiables that the children need to do. Anything else is a bonus. Primary children should not be going home to do masses of work, they should be going home to play, go swimming, go dancing, do karate, relax, spend time with family etc etc.
    however, we no longer do this as we felt that even this was too much pressure as the parents who help their children do so anyway and those with no support didn't do anything anyway.

As a parent I only read and did spellings with my daughter. Until she asked to do some then I provided any help she needed. Children need time to be children.

minnie me likes this.