1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole school history display

Discussion in 'Primary' started by polly2, Aug 10, 2011.

1. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Hi - I have to do a History display at my school. The display is for the whole community so wondered if anyone had any good ideas. The only thing I can come up with is a timeline with main historical events we study in school at the moment on it but this feels a bit lame. Has anyone got any ideas that are more exciting?

2. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Hi - I have to do a History display at my school. The display is for the whole community so wondered if anyone had any good ideas. The only thing I can come up with is a timeline with main historical events we study in school at the moment on it but this feels a bit lame. Has anyone got any ideas that are more exciting?

3. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

You could develop the timeline into something more interesting along the lines of the Dorking kindersley books 'a street through time'.

Each class could take a section of the display and create a house, people in costume, machines, toys etc, for their historical period. You could do some collaboration and have a person moving from one section to another, half one costume, half another.

4. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Thanks Ladykaza, I will have to investigate. I am not entirely sure but I think it may need to be up by the end of the first week! I would have liked a little more notice.

5. Don't know how old your school is but could you get hold of photos of your school or local area going back through history and arrange into a timeline? Take photos of the faces of the children in school then Photoshop (or similar) onto photos of children in school uniform or outfits from these different periods so you'll end up with a photo or picture of every child in school in a historical outfit which will match with a picture of the school or local area through time. Don't feel I have explained this terribly well, sorry!