1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

whole school film narrative

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ellebk, Sep 10, 2011.

1. ellebk

ellebk New commenter

my school does big write but with a twist in that the whole school does it at the same time and does the same genre. Years 1 to 6 gether in the hall (around 65 pupils) and one teacher does 15 minutes of input about the genre, then they all return to their own classrooms to write for 45 minutes. Teachers take it in turns to lead the input and I've got film narrative and am stuck!!!! I am doing the film narrative unit with my own year 5/6 class so am ok with doing a full weeks lesson plan - watching a short film, breaking it down, talking about character etc - but am struggling with what I could do in 15 minutes. I'm thinking about perhaps showing a short film and then asking them to write an alternative ending, or keeping the same story but changing the setting but am not sure whether younget children would be able to do this? And also what short film to base it on? I am using The Piano for my class based unit so would like to use something different. Any help greatfully received!!!!!

2. ellebk

ellebk New commenter

my school does big write but with a twist in that the whole school does it at the same time and does the same genre. Years 1 to 6 gether in the hall (around 65 pupils) and one teacher does 15 minutes of input about the genre, then they all return to their own classrooms to write for 45 minutes. Teachers take it in turns to lead the input and I've got film narrative and am stuck!!!! I am doing the film narrative unit with my own year 5/6 class so am ok with doing a full weeks lesson plan - watching a short film, breaking it down, talking about character etc - but am struggling with what I could do in 15 minutes. I'm thinking about perhaps showing a short film and then asking them to write an alternative ending, or keeping the same story but changing the setting but am not sure whether younget children would be able to do this? And also what short film to base it on? I am using The Piano for my class based unit so would like to use something different. Any help greatfully received!!!!!

3. choccietwirl

choccietwirl New commenter

How about using the wonderful animation Paraphernalia which you can see here
    http://www.youtube.com/12help3#p/f/3/pIBlme0VC3A
    The children could write about what adventures they have after they have flown off.

4. ellebk

ellebk New commenter

brilliant - thank you!