1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole School behaviour - looking at it from Safeguarding Staff - POV

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by undiwear, Mar 28, 2012.

1. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

Have you worked in a school where there are policies in black and white which teachers can reference for themselves?

Is there a school where SMT are plainly referencing their duty of care to staff in order to make it plain to students and parents that behaviour may be unacceptable because they have a duty of care to teachers?

Hoping that others will 'get' where I am coming from without trying to explain myself as It would be all rambly.

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Where I think you're coming from is a situation in which policies exist on paper only and are not upheld by those whose job it is to do that. A good example would be of schools who quote from Osted reports when there's trouble so that if parents complain to the local press about bully in the school the HT chimes in with "Ofsted says we have a good anti-bullying policy." The parents whose children are at the business end of the failure to enforce the policy probably disagree.
    When the same type of thing is applied to staff, you're in a mess.

3. After being sworn at, kicked and hit with a variety of objects by a child today and having written everything down and passed the observation to Head only to be told I should be dealing with the situation (in other words without support) - I know exactly where you are coming from.

4. chriszwinter1

Your HT is an utter disgrace and the thug's apologist and accomplice. Why is it that in virtually every public place a sign tells us that verbal and physical abuse will not be tolerated and that the staff have the right to do their job without fear? I say "virtually" because schools with HTs like that seem to be exempt.
    It should be a police matter. If you're in a union, please seek its advice.

5. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

Do staff normally have access to the safeguarding for staff stuff? (I am assuming here it should be part of the policy handbook.) In which case I ought to go dig out mine.

For anyone like the PP who is suffering repeated violence from a / or more than one pupil have you talked to your union about how they can help you change things?

6. chriszwinter1

These days, the policies should be on the VLE in the staff only area. The head's <strike>secretary </strike>...eer I mean PA, should have them. If not, then the local authority's policies are on its website. The failure to provide a policy does not negate the employer's legal duty of care to its staff.

7. <font face="Arial"> Why is it that in virtually every public place a sign tells us that verbal and physical abuse will not be tolerated and that the staff have the right to do their job without fear? I say "virtually" because schools with HTs like that seem to be exempt.</font>
    [​IMG] As has been said on here many many times....

8. chriszwinter1

Exactly. When I put this to a HT, he simply shook his empty head

9. What age was the pupil and did you involve the police following the assault?

10. casper

casper New commenter

Does anyone work in a school where this happens, but nothing is done until the paperwork is filled in. This then sends a message to other pupils that this behaviour is acceptable. Very frustrating for staff when something happens early in the school year. Nothing is done about it, all the pupils are talking about it. Then later in the school year something else happens involving the same pupil and someone is hurt . One cannot help feeling that if the first incident had been dealt with appropriately then the second incident may not have happened.

Difficult home backgrounds are often blamed for poor behaviour. We all acknowledge and accept that there are many pupils who do not have the support they need to choose to do the right thing. So do schools have any responsiblity here to have some boundaries that are clear and understandable for all.??

11. chriszwinter1

Yes, I have worked in a school where this was standard practice, i.e. an avoiding technique.
    Because the culprit has been led to believe that it is acceptable.
    They should, but all too often they exist only on paper and are never enforced.

12. The child was 6 years old and it has happened on a number of occasions. More worringly, is that an incident towards another member of staff a few days later resulted in the child being sent home. I am becoming increasingly disallusioned with teaching due to the erratic and undermining behaviour of adults within the education system.