1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole School Assembly Nerves!!!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sjch198, Feb 12, 2012.

1. As part of my current role, I have to take a whole school assembly and am petrified! I did one last term and prepared it completely but once I stood in front of the school, my nerves took over and I spoke at the speed of light! Now I have no problem with taking the assembly and could talk to a thousand children but it is looking at the adults- my peers and seniors! I made a faux pas and a couple of my friends began to giggle, which nearly floored me! I love my job but I really need to control these nerves. I know it is ridiculous but any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. As part of my current role, I have to take a whole school assembly and am petrified! I did one last term and prepared it completely but once I stood in front of the school, my nerves took over and I spoke at the speed of light! Now I have no problem with taking the assembly and could talk to a thousand children but it is looking at the adults- my peers and seniors! I made a faux pas and a couple of my friends began to giggle, which nearly floored me! I love my job but I really need to control these nerves. I know it is ridiculous but any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

3. As a supply you should not have to do a whole school assembly.

4. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Make it interactive so you have kids comes to the front and do things. It takes the pressure off you and the children enjoy it more.
    What is your theme?

5. Visualisation often helps. Instead of visualising an outcome of sheer panic and terror - as you have done, instead visualise yourself speaking confidently, slowly, with lots of smiling pauses. Keep replaying that confident delivery in your mind, again and again and again before the assembly. Chances are you will deliver a much more relaxed performance. This is a technique that many professional performers reputedly utilise. Good luck - what you envisage is what you will deliver