1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole School Assemblies - how can I promote reading?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by captain oats, Aug 24, 2016.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Hi all,

I have taken on the English leadership role at my school and next year we will be focusing on promoting 'Reading for Pleasure'.

As part of this I will be doing a fortnightly assembly about books/reading. The assemblies will be to the whole school (Year 2 to Year 6) and I after suggestions for what I can do/read.

I am already thinking about selecting some books from the '100 children's books to read in a lifetime' list but my worry is timing and also engaging all the children.

Are there any stories or books you can recommend that appeal to lots of year groups?

The stories/books would not need to be finished in one assembly, I quite like the idea of reading an extract to get them interested enough to read the book for themselves.

Thanks for the suggestions.

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

We have a reading cafe during school time to promote reading.

3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Could you focus on a different author each fortnight?

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ooooo I like that, how do you work yours?

5. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Bear in mind that we are a very small school.
    The children are put in house groups to do different reading activities over four days. Over the course of a week each house will do
    Library:A TA runs our school lending library.
    Reading comprehension quizzes- cards with text on one side and questions on the other
    Thinking hats/quiet reading
    Paired reading
    Older children have a book club
    We give them fruit to eat.
    It lasts about 20 mins.
    This gives the teachers time to run intervention groups in their classrooms.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We have a reading celebration assembly every three weeks where children share books they have enjoyed (a book recommendation assembly) and good work in reading lessons and present certificates.
    We project pictures of children and staff reading (extreme reading) in unusual places during assembly

I run a reading cafe with the Y5 teacher for junior children after school to introduce pupils to a variety of authors. Many of the children have asked for other books written by the same author so it definitely promotes reading for pleasure.

Look out for children book awards and get the children to review the short lists (some you can sign up to become officially involved).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    captain oats likes this.
  7. Isobeleh

Isobeleh New commenter

This past year for Terms 5 & 6, the headteacher spent his Monday assembly (20ish mins) reading Charlotte's Web to the whole school (we're a junior school). The children enjoyed it and many of them read the book during this period.

8. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Thank you all for the replies.

I really like the idea of having different authors as a focus and also getting the children to present their recommendations.

We have also been doing an extreme reading challenge over the summer holidays so I will definitely spend an assembly or two celebrating that,