1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole room displays

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ilovemarmite, May 4, 2007.

1. I have just written my art and display action plan and one of my targets is to improve display in our entrance area. I have an idea that we will turn the whole room into a diaply (or the children will) so it could be a rainforest for a term and half then a victorian museum for a term and a half etc. I am planning on it being the whol room so it has a real impact and it will be hhigh quality so it only needs changing twice a year.
    Has anyone done anything similar or know where I can find photos of diaplys that have taken over whole rooms?

2. I have just written my art and display action plan and one of my targets is to improve display in our entrance area. I have an idea that we will turn the whole room into a diaply (or the children will) so it could be a rainforest for a term and half then a victorian museum for a term and a half etc. I am planning on it being the whol room so it has a real impact and it will be hhigh quality so it only needs changing twice a year.
    Has anyone done anything similar or know where I can find photos of diaplys that have taken over whole rooms?

3. Im in year 2 and have just turned my classroom into a Rainforest. from one corner of the room up to my washing line i tied netting (fishing net). From the net i hung strips of different couloured crepe paper hanging down.

we asked the children if they wanted to bring any toys in for the display, like snakes, monkeys and we attached them to the netting. I blacked out one window so it looks darker. it looks really cool and the children love it.

Hope this helps???

4. Thanks I think a rainforest will be brilliant but I'm not sure how well it will work for other topics.
    the seaside, rainforests, victorians i have ideas for but when it cimes to modern greece, transport and our locality I think it might be harder! I suppose it could be more specific andlink to science or another specific subject.

5. Hi, could you tell me how you set out your action plan? I'm trying to help the ART Head produce something similar.

6. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Modern Greece could be set up like a typical Grecian square, with a church at one end and more modern shops or cafes along another side, perhaps. Transport - what about a station? Either overground trains or tube.
    I've had a rainforest in my room, too. Lots of big green leaves everywhere, green crepe paper "vines" criss-crossing all over the place and one of my amazing TAs made and painted some life-size cardboard cutouts of a bengal tiger, an orang-utan and an elephant. The kids loved it!

7. WE teach in whole school topics, and our KS2 department is (hopefully) transformed every term. Some have worked more successfully than others. 'Habitats' worked brilliantly. We had a rainforest, the artic, the ocean, the desert and a cave (our library!). We've just finished ancient greece - columns down the central corridor and sweeps of white bedding sheets, ending in the parthenon over the cloakrooms. We've done Space - an entire solar system up the junior corridor was a sight to behold. I'd say go for it . . especially if you have a supportive team - it's not an easy task for one. However, the kids LOVE it and if you can, to get the 'wow' factor - try and wizz it all up over an evening. To see their faces in the morning -it is totally worth it.