1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

whole day music event - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Music' started by dropje, May 18, 2012.

1. dropje

dropje New commenter

I have been asked to create a music event for a year group for a whole day.
    180 kids. Yr7 8 and 9.
    I am flummoxed. I have never done this before. Any ideas? I am in secondary.
    I thought about a 1 day musical. 6 groups of 30, 12 groups of 15? A lot of staff needed already (and equipment). Perhaps it needs to be over 2 days.

2. dropje

dropje New commenter

I have been asked to create a music event for a year group for a whole day.
    180 kids. Yr7 8 and 9.
    I am flummoxed. I have never done this before. Any ideas? I am in secondary.
    I thought about a 1 day musical. 6 groups of 30, 12 groups of 15? A lot of staff needed already (and equipment). Perhaps it needs to be over 2 days.

3. Get some outside providers in to provide a carousel of workshops. Be sure to include my African drumming workshops, naturally, if you are within 100 miles of my base in Yorkshire! And maybe some samba, some opera workshops, some fun singing sessions, some beat-boxing, rap, boomwhackers ... And do a few in-house: Tune some guitars to a chord and have a battle of the (scratch) bands... Collect some weird instruments and have a taster workshop (theramin, musical saw, berimbau, tank drum, whatever)and last but not least, a karaoke contest. You will hate that, but they will love it.
    b.ayengio@yahoo.co.uk

4. bod99

bod99 New commenter

A carousel of workshops from outside providers? Let's assume 3 x £300 as a bare minimum. I assume the OP would like suggestions of low cost things. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Maybe your drum workshops are a LOT cheaper than I guess.

5. dropje

dropje New commenter

Outside providers is not feasable. The cost would be huge.
    Maybe a mega samba session!!

6. bod99

bod99 New commenter

Mega samba sounds like a plan - you could do some great work with taking rhythms from songs. I did a mega samba once where they designed and made their own instruments and painted them before lunch (neon sprays), then we practised and performed in the afternoon. Battle of the Samba Bands?

7. Light dawns, bod99.[​IMG] I offer very good value.

8. bod99

bod99 New commenter

No light here, thanks.

9. How about getting the students to create an advert for a product, either radio or TV based?The music element is the creation of the jingle using some pre-prepared backing tracks over which they can sing or rap a melody. They could also download karaoke backing tracks or create the music themselves using Dance Ejay, Audacity or live instruments. This worked well for a Year 8 group of mine, especially when linked to the other multi media aspects like creating an accompanying movie and mixing sound and vision using Movie Maker or Seriff Movie Plus. Needs a lot of technical support though from reasonably experienced teachers.

10. cmf

cmf

How about asking your music service to do a promo for music lessons taking groups of students to try a wide variety of instruments?

11. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

You don't fool me bod99. I recognise the sexual frisson between yourself and b.ayengio. I'm hurt but I'll recover. What of those dreams of running away together?
    Lennox