1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole Class Reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Over_the_hill, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I am starting whole class reading (Year 2) from next Monday, 30 minutes four times a week. Does anyone have any tips or pointers to good websites where I can read up about this please? Many thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Only anecdotal, but if you 'read round the class' make it clear no-one will be forced to read aloud, if they don't want to. Some children will be embarrasses trying to read aloud, but after a few lessons, usually have the confidence to try to join in.

1 person likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I agree with @Lara mfl 05 about reading round the class. Ask for volunteers and as time goes by you will get more and more. Get them to read for one minute or similar, so the more able read more than the less, but it isn't so obvious.

Classroom secrets have some great bits to get started. They have the same text (more or less, you could certainly use the higher level for everyone) and then differentiated questions.

For most of the lessons, stick with discussions rather than reading or writing. Your less able will get a chance to shine that way.

Once you get used to it, it is a fab way of teaching reading.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This also keep them on their toes trying to follow and be 'ready to go' when the previous person's time is up.

Other times I'd ask children to read a paragraph at a time, which means you can regulate the amount particular children have to read, giving the less confident ones less to manage.

Or if there was 'speech', i'd get different readers to do the 'narration, and more able readers to do the various parts. Another technique to get them following carefully. At first they'll struggle with stopping to allow the other person to read the part in speech marks, and pick up ,said he / she etc. but it can help lift their skills at spotting speech marks and identifying 'words spoken', from the narration / identification of speaker etc.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This is a fab way to go...my classes have all loved this and 'doing the voices'.
    Less able can have character parts as they only have short bits to read at a time...and the get to show off their 'voices' if not their reading skills.

6. Over_the_hill

Really helpful responses, thank you so much!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. TheIrishTeacher

TheIrishTeacher New commenter

I teach whole class guided reading and have found focusing on a different skill each day to be very beneficial.

I always start by reading, modelling the tone and expression before turning to the children for:
    Echo read: the copy how I just read.
    Choral read: whole class reads together
    Paired read: read to a partner
    Volunteer read:

It’s honestly changed my children’s reading fluency and understanding for the better.
    I’ve wrote a series of blog posts and videos on how I teach it if this is helpful for you, I’ll link it below.

Message me if I can be of more help to you!

http://rebeccatheirishteacher.com/2...guided-reading-structure-and-differentiation/

8. MrHteaching

MrHteaching New commenter

Hi,

I have a lot of whole class reading resources on my page which I created after doing my own research.
    If you click the link on one of my examples you'll be able to see the same blog! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Over_the_hill

Thank you! Where can I find your examples?

10. MrHteaching

MrHteaching New commenter

1 person likes this.
  11. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

Good for you! I love whole.class.reading. For behaviour management, reading practice, learning and inspiration, it's wonderful.

You may be interested in this article on the joys and benefits of reading aloud to children: https://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/2018/03/24/read-aloud-behavior/

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. philipjohnson

philipjohnson New commenter

With KS1 pupils I've used the British Council stories, animated, text on screen, you can keep narrator's voice on or turn it off, some of the stories are nicely-presented and others less so!! I think they are often used overseas by older pupils who are learning English so IMO fairly appropriate for Year 1 / Year 2

13. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

What books will you use?

14. powerpointdave

powerpointdave New commenter

Search for reading vipers and related materials - we moved to whole class reading and the kids love it

15. TheIrishTeacher

TheIrishTeacher New commenter