1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole class plagerism?!?!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bonnie23, Nov 1, 2016.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I would first go to your HOD as well, this is a serious issue but its not time to blow it out of proportion- yet. A supportive HOD will come in and rollick the kids about what they have done and basically say 'produce some unplaigarised work or you get a mark of 0.'

2. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

Thank you for all of your advice; it's very reassuring and in a school environment where I'm teaching the course for the first time there's always a few worries. This has been passed on and I'm always a very proactive person but as I've never encountered this level before it was a very weird situation to be in which just caused some big worries about the coursework and whether I had mistaught them things.

The school have been supportive and I have arranged for groups to come in under conditions to redo the work. The controlled assessment is a bit more relaxed as it is a slightly different way of doing the work due to the subject and the fact it is a btec which doesn't have many strict guidelines.

to @binaryhex in all honesty I do react with my emotions because I care about the students I teach, I wasn't worried about myself as much as I was worried about them. However with all the horror stories you get in schools about teachers being fired or support put in and them being pushed out. It was a gut reaction and it worried me; professional or not I think it would be strange not to worry about this surely?

emerald52 likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think it is fine to freak out at home and on here.
    But a calm and professional response is needed at work.
    Which is what you seem to have done...so worry not.

emerald52 and les25paul like this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes I agree. The policy in my department (this was coursework, so perhaps different) was that the sheet had to be filled in when the work was submitted, and it was not marked until this had been done. If this is not the case, then it seems there is a simple way out.

I do think that sombody senior such as the Head of Year needs to know about this. If students have not had the rules explained to them before they start controlled assessments, then they need to be told now. This should not be the responsibility of subject staff.

emerald52 likes this.
  5. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

I wish you'd mentioned this before because that changes a lot. The internal assessment completed for a BTEC is not 'controlled assessment' – that term only applies to the internal assessment of outgoing GCSEs (with 'coursework' being the equivalent term for outgoing A Levels (and GCSEs a long time ago) and 'non-exam assessment' being the term for reformed GCSEs and A Levels).

That means that a lot of the rules discussed and linked to in this thread do not apply, as they were for controlled assessment, not BTEC internal assessment.

I realise this probably wasn't you intention and that you were probably just repeating the (incorrect) lingo of your school. The trouble is using this term and not mentioning the qualification is a BTEC did lead everyone to assume you were referring to a GCSE.

To the best of my knowledge, only BTEC plagiarism that has got past your internal verifier has to be reported to Pearson, but my knowledge of BTECs is limited. You've let your head of department know, so it's for them to deal with now.

emerald52, ValentinoRossi and Piranha like this.
  6. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

It is a controlled assessment. Why are you marking it and giving students feedback?
    That sounds well dodgy to me.

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Was easier before they all used the internet!
    Last time I taught in schools we were told all coursework/controlled assessment/whatever was going and it would be all exam soon-take it that's not happened yet?