1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whole- class maths games

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by dandyhighwayman, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Hi all,

I like to use whole- class games as both plenaries and treats for my classes when they've worked well during a lesson. One I use a lot (and has proven to be very popular- so popular that since I started as an NQT in September, the sound of whiteboards being beaten at the end of lessons has increased dramatically in my department!) is 'splat', but I fear that this will wear thin if I use it too much. Does anyone else know of/ use similar games with any of their groups?

(If anyone doesn't know what 'splat' is, I'll post rules if you ask!)

2. Hi all,

I like to use whole- class games as both plenaries and treats for my classes when they've worked well during a lesson. One I use a lot (and has proven to be very popular- so popular that since I started as an NQT in September, the sound of whiteboards being beaten at the end of lessons has increased dramatically in my department!) is 'splat', but I fear that this will wear thin if I use it too much. Does anyone else know of/ use similar games with any of their groups?

(If anyone doesn't know what 'splat' is, I'll post rules if you ask!)

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Go on then - post the rules!

4. O.k, here goes (I thought /everyone/ knew this one!)

1. Split the class into two teams (boys v. girls; This Half v. That Half; Bananas v. Apples etc...).

2. Write random numbers on the board, placed randomly (if you've got a data projector you could pre-prepare some sets of numbers to give yourself more time).

3. Call up one student from each team. They stand in front of the board.

4. You call out a question, the answer to which is somewhere on the board. This could be anything from "6 x 7?" to "How many days are there in 3 weeks?"

5. The students have to 'splat' (i.e. cover with their hand) the correct answer. First one there wins a point for their team.

6. Thank you very much, take your seats, two more contenders please!

The game can be played using random numbers and questions that just fly out of your head, or it could be a more structured activity that involves quick questions and answered based on the learning objectives.

malou2009 likes this.
  5. maths126

maths126 New commenter

Sounds great fun - a new one to me!
    A sort of low-tech Ghostblasters (www.primarygames.co.uk) so very retro!

Definitely one for the collection and one to use. Thanks for posting.

6. Times Table challenge.

Get all the class to stand up, choose a pupil to start. They choose another pupil & ask them a times table, if they give the correct answer they then choose to ask someone else. If they get the answer wrong, it gets passed back to the person originally asking the question, check they know the answer & they ask someone else. The person who got the answer wrong is out & sits down. If they know their tables well, you can put a time constraint of how long they get to answer. Keep going until you have a winner.

FizzBuzz is always quite popular. I'd forgotten about that actually!

7. maths126

maths126 New commenter

Last Unique (re-post)

There are 30 children in the class. Each has to pick a whole number between 1 and 25 inclusive. Whoever picks the lowest number wins.

However, it has to be unique - nobody else must have chosen it.

The whole class stands up, ready to sit down instantly. I count down slowly from 25, announcing the "current champion" to be anyone who sits down ON THEIR OWN when I call their number. Obviously players change their minds during the game, and this becomes part of the strategy.

The last unique sitter / number wins the game.

All players then stand again, and as I tell my baffled Year 7 class, the last person to leave the room can go first. Cue instant confusion.

8. Love that game! In return I offer you my Y7 bottom set class' favourite and a lovely way to chill them out at the beginning of a lesson: The Time Game

They sit with their heads on the desk and eyes closed. I say "now" and I wait for a certain number of seconds, then say "now" again. They lift their heads and I point at them in turn getting their guess of how many seconds it was. Amazing how after, say, 34 seconds of sitting concentrating on counting the seconds, they don't all clamour to answer and sit perfectly clamly waiting for their turn.

Closest gets a point, and we play again and again until I really feel I'd better try to teach them something. You have to be a little careful about the ones who try to cheat by peeking at their watch, or, like the other day, the one who lay blatantly staring at the clock on the wall and then was outraged when I disqualified him from that round!

So simple, so calming....

9. I have been using this one off and on since my PGCE - never ceases to amaze me how much the students enjoy it. Don't know what it's called - Sit Down?

Children all stand up and the object is to get the whole class sitting down. To sit down they must be the only person to say the next number in some sequence you have specified - the simplest example is to count down from the number in the class. So say you have a class of 30, the first person who wants to sit down says "thirty", the next must say "twenty nine" etc. As soon as more than one person says a number the whole class must stand up and you can start again. Sounds basic but they love it. To add a twist the last person to sit down has to recite their favourite nursery rhyme..

10. students all draw a ladder in the back of their books with ten spaces - below the ladder they put 0, above 1000. All students then stand up. You generate random numbers with a calculator and they have to put them in numerical order up the ladder. The moment they cant go (numbers fall out of sequence) they sit down. My kids love it!! All the way fomr Year 7 to 11

11. maths126

maths126 New commenter

Geo-Jo - thanks for posting that - I do something similar but when they can't go they have to shout "Yoikes!" and put the errant number into the "Yoikes Bin" at the side. Love this game so much I even have a program on my PDA for generating the numbers, which warbles electronically with each number, much to the delight of the students!
    [For those with Palm PDA the game is DicePro - freeware]

Another Random Number game is using four digits from 0 to 9 (with up to four repeated digits!) to make 24. Usual rules - must use all four but any arithmetical operation is allowed. A friend once sent me every solution from [0000] to [9999] - so they can all be done! Can be done with two teams or individually as a race.

12. Ah MAths, i do 4 4s with my mine. I have the numbers 0-100 as a display in my room and we sometimes do that as a starter or a plenary. The top sets love it!!

Another game i do is Bingo with a twist, roll two dice and they have to use one or either number in a mathematical way to cross off any of the numbers in their grid

13. maths126

maths126 New commenter

14. I write a fraction on the board eg 1/3 and they have to come and write an equivalent fraction, eg 4/12.

I have 3 or 4 pens on the go, so they can pass them back and forth.

They are not allowed to repeat a fraction.

I play a song on my stereo and they have to have all had a go before it finishes.

Then you can discuss the answere with them.

This can be adapted to all sorts of maths activities. It works well for me and they enjoy it.

15. Still playing last unique from when maths 126 last posted it. Thanks.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_...

Another favorite comes from the Primary schools ' take a number for a walk'

All stand up and given the starting number. Then I call out lots of mental arithmetic questions - no talking allowed, they just think of the correct answer and use this in the next calculation. Speed is of the essence - eg. add 10, subtract 6 , divide by 2,...... as soon as they lose track or can't work out the answer in time they have to sit down. Check every so often they're thinking of the correct number by giving a range it should be in. Last one standing wins (provided they have the correct answer) - or whoever's still standing when the bell goes leaves first.

If I'm feeling really lazy I don't work out the answers but throw in a times by zero near the end!

16. Hi

Loads of Maths games that work really well for whole class interaction on www.TheFA.com/Footee - the games all use the football analogy but that seems to add extra motivation! To get the whole class really involved you could register as a class - you earn points from the games and with these you buy footballers (from Ronaldo to Gerrard); the class could decide who to buy! And then see how the 'class' team does in their Footee league.

17. We love the 'beat the clock' games in a variety of MyMaths topics. Great for both starters to remind them of the last lesson or as a plenary. It ranks their scores too so they can see if they are progressing.

Also love the 1, 2, 4, 8 game, especially when it's cold!! Students sit in rows of 4 a bit back from their desks so that they can easily stand up. Any spare students can be the 'caller(s)'. The caller says a number between 1 and 15 and the correct students have to stand up so their numbers add up to that number. eg call out 6, the students who are 2 and 4 stand up. Keep track of the quickest teams. It is designed to introduce powers of 2 but who cares when it's fun?!!

18. Tried out last unique this week - superb.

19. Played last unique a couple of times yesterday - kids loved it. Thanks for the idea.

20. gawd i'm a dummy...love the unique game, gonna do it tom ready for obs on monday. but i dont get the last to leave can go first quip....argh help!!