1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who'd have guessed?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by aypi, Nov 8, 2019 at 7:20 AM.

1. aypi

aypi Established commenter

2. AyeRight

AyeRight Occasional commenter

Me.

aypi likes this.
  3. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

For those that do not want to subscribe to the times, here is the article.

Fewer pupils are passing exams and more have been leaving school with no qualifications since the introduction of a new curriculum.

Scottish ministers concede that the Curriculum for Excellence (CfE) model has had a “significant negative impact” on attainment.

A report by Jim Scott, of Dundee University, noted a 33 per cent drop in pass grades in levels three to five in S4 since 2013, when the reform was introduced. The number of Higher passes in S5 dropped by 10 per cent.

MSPs of all parties accepted that there was “growing concern” about CfE. They backed a Conservative motion in Holyrood yesterday which noted that “these failures are imposing proportionately greater barriers to success among the pupil cohort who come from disadvantaged backgrounds”.

John Swinney, the education secretary, said that he had already ordered a review and urged MSPs to regard Dr Scott’s contribution as one part of an evolving critique.

Freddie92 and bigjimmy2 like this.
  4. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

When will Swinney just admit that it was a mistake. An evolving critique will mean another few years of vague statements without ever accepting that CfE is a failure and needs to be scrapped. His head should roll. He has been told for many years that CfE is not working.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  5. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

I teach Maths and the numeracy skills of pupils have declined severely over the past 10 years.
    Many kids arrive in secondary now with a very poor grasp of what in the past would be regarded as basic skills.
    This feeds through to not just Maths lessons but also to subjects across the curriculum.
    Although numeracy skills have been falling since I started teaching many moons ago, the recent decline has been very noticeable.
    When 5-14 courses were in place there was clear progression between levels A to F and also between primary and secondary.
    Now progress of pupils, with reference to new levels, is less clear.
    CfE has been a shambles and, along with many serving teachers, I would just like to say told you so!
    It has been the pupils who have suffered during this failed process and nobody in authority seems willing to accept the folly of this initiative.

MilkyBar Kid and sicilypat like this.
  6. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

The successor to CfE should focus on the basics, ie reading, writing and maths. Literally everything else stems from those core skills.

Oh, and guarantee cooperation from pupils: if they can't hack it, for whatever reason, worthwhile or not, then send them somewhere that will accommodate their needs and prevent them from disrupting others' learning. We are teachers and not babysitters or social workers.

Ban phones too? (Yes).

Freddie92, Marisha, GuessWho and 2 others like this.
  7. bigjimmy2

And yet we complain that there are not enough skilled jobs when people can't f*****' count!

8. moscowbore

My big issue was the provision of computing. The infrastructure was a disgrace, the people in charge at a government level were clueless and would not listen to advice or questions. I spoke to an MSP and a minister and was ignored.
    The sheer hypocrisy of government ministers, Swinney included, standing up at various gatherings and pronouncing initiatives to support high skilled IT jobs when very few students get the chance to do Higher Computing turned my guts. 20% drop in students doing Higher Computing in a single year. A disgrace.

I could not face it and moved abroad.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  9. aypi

aypi Established commenter

Every Scottish educational institution is skewed.
    The Government has not sought the views of those who actually have children in front of them.
    The SQA inhabits some planet in another dimension and will only react in extreme circumstances, with venom.
    I can't make up my mind if Education Scotland is a misnomer or an oxymoron, no help to man nor beast.
    Local Government has no idea what their employees think.
    Faculty heads don't know about half the subjects they teach.

Effinbankers and bigjimmy2 like this.
  10. Freddie92

Freddie92 Occasional commenter

I know of some schools were there are more than 20 pupils in Computing classes. I know it was never a practical subject (a common myth) but how can they teach and deliver coursework when they do not have 23 or 24 machines in a room? Laptops?

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  11. moscowbore

Also, it was common practice to teach N5 and Higher students in the same room at the same time.
    My staff taught in schools where in a room of 20 computers only 3 or 4 worked. My staff brought their own laptops to give the students a machine to work on. An utter disgrace. Swinney et al were on telly frequently telling the world how they were nurturing IT talent in Scotland to support all of the high tech jobs coming down the pipeline. Vile hypocrites.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  12. bigjimmy2

Glasgow Council are on the brink of giving iPads to all teachers and pupils: I am confident we are all certain attainment will rocket . . .

Teachers bringing in their own laptops? Jeez, I wouldn't bring in my own pencils. A disgrace. I am afraid the days of volumes of hi-tech jobs in this country are long gone.

We will see more vile hypocrisy over the next month or so when politicians partake of granny-selling if it gets them elected.

13. moscowbore

They did this in the Highlands. Every school kid was given a Chrome book. When they switched them on the ridiculously out of date school networks crashed. Chrome books back in the box. 2 years later they are still upgrading the networks and the internet connections.

14. autoq

autoq New commenter

Yes -to all this - certainly the early years CfE has had many negative outcomes... but "they" have ALSO screwed it up at the Exam/qualification end where N4 is (a) not fit for purpose in assessing/grading a pupil at anything and (b) provides none of the rigour and work/ethic needed for N5.
    I have a whole class of S5's (who were 4th year N4's ) trying to do N5 ...:eek::rolleyes:o_O:confused:... I am pretty sure that none of them will achieve a pass this year.
    Somehow the powers-that-be have royally hosed all ends of the education system and (accordingly) an entire generation of young people... and they still do not acknowledge it !
    Swinney should make a point and ask for all the money back from all those involved in this farce...

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  15. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

For political reasons LA's and SG will continue to say CfE is a great step forward in the education of this great wee nation. The fact that I had a class yesterday where kids could not spell, write or do very very basic Arithmetic does not matter. They all knew they had rights, their sense of entitlement is overwhelming, there ability (and their families) to claim that they have some form of ASN and therefore should just be given qualification and a £20K a week job is A+.

It is not just CfE that is a mess our society in the SIMD 1-3 is also a mess.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  16. bigjimmy2

Couldn't agree more, subby. Some of these people are absolutely disgusting human beings and I resent my taxes paying for them.