1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who you gonna call....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Orkrider2, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

So I don't really believe in ghosts as such, but we've been having proper weird things going on in our house lately. Two nights ago, husband came down for work at about 6.30am, like he usually does, and found all the lights downstairs on. Now, I know that I turned them off when I went to bed, and I got up to feed the baby at 2.30am, so if the lights were on then, it would have been really obvious as I have to walk past the top of the stairs and can see all the way down the hall to the front door, including the doorways to the other rooms. It wasn't one light either, it was the kitchen, living room, dining room and family room all on. :eek:
    Then, to make things weirder, last night someone (or something) whispered through the baby monitor. It was a definite whisper, not the baby making noises, not the radio in the background, not interference from another machine (I'm very familiar with all of those kinds of noises and this was definitely different) it sounded like someone had put their lips to the receiver and whispered something for about 10 seconds. It was horribly sinister and it woke Mr Ork up and caused him to jump out of bed to go check on the baby, so I know it wasn't just me.
    There has been other weird stuff. TVs and playstations turning themselves on and off, finding taps running, that kind of thing. The other day I thought I could hear my daughter running around upstairs after bed time and I was going to tell her off before I realised the older kids were staying at my mum's that night and the littlest isn't big enough to run or get out of his cot on his own.
    Husband has just pointed out that all this started when we were given a load of stuff from my nan's house after she died (lamps, crockery, a clock, some jewellery etc). This has not helped. Logical explanations would be greatly appreciated.:eek::eek::eek:

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Lack of sleep? I used to walk into walls when daughter was tiny because I was so tired.

I used to hear what I thought was people running around upstairs - it really freaked me out, because the man who lived in this house died here too. It turned out that it was next door's dogs (both massive) having a mad half hour when the owner got home from work - they run up and down their staircase, which is flush with our living room wall.

3. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

There's a problem with the wiring? Mice got at it?
    Coffee kid's explanation of tiredness sounds about right. Is one of you sleepwalking perhaps?

4. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

It could be tiredness, but things like the whispering and the lights were experienced by Mr Ork too, so seems less likely. If it were just me, I'd presume that all this was simply an overactive imagination and severe sleep deprivation. Could be one of the kids sleepwalking I guess, hadn't thought of that. I thought the noises like footsteps could be the pipes, but I hear them in the family room, which is an extension with the kids rooms above it with no plumbing going to that side, and we're not attached to next door on that side so it can't be the neighbours. Could be dodgy wiring, will have to have a look at that.

5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

No, couldn't be the kids sleepwalking because we've got an alarm that has to be turned off in our bedroom if you want to go downstairs. It'd have started beeping if either of them had gone downstairs in the night.

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

This has the makings of a good film. My heart was pounding, just reading that!:eek:

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  7. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I mean you or Mr Ork.

8. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I wasn't that freaked out about the noises, or the TV/PS coming on and off, or the taps really, I just shrugged it off as something that happens. But the whisper was weird and sinister. I wish I'd been able to make out what it was saying. I couldn't quite work out what the words were then it stopped and I could hear the radio in the background again, which was in the middle of a song.

Neither me nor Mr Ork have ever sleepwalked. I think I'd wake up if he had got up. He has quite bad arthritis in this ankles and struggles to stand/walk when he first wakes up so isn't great at being stealthy. Plus whoever woke up would have had to do the beeps on the alarm and it'd have woken the other up.

9. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Interesting........:eek:

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

The radio losing signal and just giving static/ quiet singing or talking? Have you got birds nesting in the eaves. Ours sound like rats with clogs on and they also tap out the concrete with their beaks.

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Had you left the radio on in the baby's room or did it come on by itself?

guinnesspuss likes this.
  12. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Definitely wasn't static or something coming from the radio, it sounded close. My daughter sometimes uses the baby monitor as a kind of one way walkie talkie and I know what that sounds like and this was similar but with whispering not talking. She was still fast asleep, so it wasn't her.
    Baby has the radio on all night because the background noise helps stop the other two waking him up by breaking the silence when they go up to bed. It's one of those monitors that don't transmit sound continuously but only kick in if there's a noise in the room, so it was really obvious. The radio is always on so quietly that it doesn't trigger the monitor. It had been silent for ages, then it clicked on, 10 seconds of whispering, a second or so of the song in the background then silence again.

13. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi Orkrider2,

It could be exhaustion- I made midnight calls to various members of the family during sleep waking.

I would also hear a voice calling my name, by the third time of being called, I would be fully awake and panicking.

All of these things happened when I was sleep deprived either due to feeding baby every two hours or because I was working 12hr shifts 4 or 5 days a week for ambulance service.

Hope you feel better soon.

SSS

14. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

OH- I hadn't read this bit. Please Ignore previous post.

15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

TV Playstation and baby alarm.
    Are they wirelessly connected ? (do they run through a home network?) or are they simpler devices

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

:eek::eek::eek:

I'm feeling quite spooked just reading this thread.
    Orkrider - whereabouts is the monitor in relation to the cot in the baby's room? Could your baby have managed to stand up in cot and rub against the monitor?

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My daughter had a phone app that would record anything you said in your sleep - it was voice activated. Why not give that a go next to your baby monitor for a few nights?

As a fan of Fortean Times I've seen accounts like yours in their letters pages on a regular basis, and can recall a conversation with a fellow pupil at school along similar lines. Is your house old? Have you had the wiring checked (simple job, done with a meter at the plugs)? Do you have a modern circuit breaker type fuse board or one of the older ones? A modern one would tend to switch off with wiring problems - ours is very sensitive. Older ones are more forgiving. Do you have something that is emitting infra red flashes that might take electronic items like the telly out of standby mode? Do the TV and Playstation still switch on if turned off at the wall? Is your house on a busy road or street where electronic interference from mobile devices or taxi radios could cause a problem? If your husband's theory about Nan's haunted nick nacks is true, why not box them all up and leave them at work for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference?

Fascinating stuff anyway - please keep us posted.

18. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I'm definitely singing that song now!

Used to be the last song played at my primary school discos :D

I would be making that call personally!

19. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

TV and playstation are connected, but the baby alarm is plugged in to the socket in his room, which is on the other side of the hallway in the extension part of the house, and on a completely different circuit on the fuse box.

He learned a while ago that if he turned the monitor off, the alarm would sound (sensor monitor as well as sound), so we moved the 'hub' bit onto the floor about 2 foot away from his cot. There's no way he could have touched it, and when hubby went in there he was sound asleep. :/

The app sounds terrifying, but I might try it out. The house is a 1930s semi, not particularly old. The wiring is new though - about 7 years old. I'm not sure what a modern circuit breaker fuse board is, but according to google pictures, mine appears to be the new type. Definitely no infra red stuff. It's a room that is our 'posh' living room. We spend most of our time in the family room on the other side of the house and it's only used for Mr Ork's PS nonsense and when I teach from home. I was teaching last Friday morning and I could hear what sounded like the noise you get when a washing machine starts to empty. A sort of periodic swooshing noise. It went on for ages and our washing machine is in the garage, so I knew it wasn't that. Eventually I realised that the PS turned itself on and was continuously ejecting and reloading a disk and that was the whooshing noise I could hear. The remote was on the coffee table and nothing was touching it and there are no other electrics in the room, so it was a bit weird. I put it down to the PS having a bit of a funny moment, but now it seems a lot more spooky! Oh and the other night, I was in the family room working when everyone else was in bed. I could hear a bleeping noise, but I knew it wasn't the baby monitor and I thought it might be something on the TV so I ignored it. But it went on for ages, so I muted the TV and went to investigate. I could hear it was coming from the room with the big TV and PS in it, but the second I walked in it stopped completely. That was enough to scare the pants off me and I ended up phoning my sister to have a bit of normality! Probably coincidence, but it had been bleeping for so long - probably about 10 minutes at that point - that it seemed really odd that it stopped the second I entered the room.

I'm sure it's something simple though, I'm going to be rational about it. But I will keep you posted as to whether anything happens tonight.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  20. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I wasn't querying the wiring (though that is a useful bit of info) merely asking if it was one of the wireless versions.
    The reason being that internet connected devices (TVs Playstations) and a wireless alarm connected through the router can be hacked.
    This doesn't appear to be the case from your answer.

It's good to rule out things when investigating odd happenings