1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who would you vote for? (This time including the Brexit Party)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JL48, May 21, 2019.

?

Which party would you vote for in the upcoming Euro elections?

Poll closed May 28, 2019.
  1. Conservative

2.0%
  2. Labour

5.9%
  3. Lib Dem

37.3%
  4. Green

9.8%
  5. Brexit

35.3%
  6. UKIP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. SNP

7.8%
  8. PC - Party of Wales / Change UK

2.0%
  9. NI - pro Brexit (DUP etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. NI - anti Brexit (SF, Alliance etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

He's genuinely thick

2. Scintillant

Post something offensive and use that one with the moderators.

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Oh, another Russian contributor graces us with their presence.

JL48 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

This sort of assertion is generally made by posters who want to paint themselves as beleaguered victims.

5. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

A wry summary :)

6. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

I know @lanokia and in not understanding Voltaire they prove to be of the same calibre of those who take things to extremes.

In the referendum I voted remain. I find it sad that some of those who voted leave are now losing their jobs because the companies have either pulled out of the UK or have gone bust as a result of the referendum.

There may or may not be another referendum. We may well leave with or without a deal. All I know is that I voted remain so none of this chaos is down to my vote. Today I will be voting for a party that is colourful and supports remain.

7. Scintillant

We are heading fast-track for a climate and quite possible societal breakdown, and people are voting for the climate change denying Brexit Party or the Lib Dems.

upload_2019-5-23_13-1-3.jpeg

8. theselofane

theselofane Occasional commenter

I know. Where's Lord Sutch when you need him:)

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No it's made by posters sick to death of reading the ramblings of egotistical bullies who have to resort to personal attack when their view point is challenged...

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

An honest post. :)

ilovesooty and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Well you could have a look at this, but I would prefer to let the past stay there.

https://community.tes.com/threads/brexit-starts.745634/page-19#post-11851725

Whatever the outcome of this whole Brexit debacle, it would be best if the country tries to reunite rather than descend into a civil war, verbal or otherwise.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd point out where Frank called me an antisemite ... but TES removed it... so as Emmanuel can't see it I guess it doesn't count?

But as you say... that's the past...

13. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I have a vague feeling Frank once called me an absolute ******* ***** but it was removed by the mods. No hard feelings because I called him something equally naughty in return. I like Frank, he just gets very passionate at times and some posters know exactly how to press his buttons.

14. EmanuelShadrack

@nomad
    @lanokia

Thanks for taking the time to supply me with the relevant posts.

Speaking for myself, and myself alone, I'm well aware of how stupid I can be at times. If I do something I later regret, I try to apologize as soon as possible. (Somewhat easier said than done at times.) I've no reservations about changing my mind if I'm presented with a compelling argument against what I'd hitherto thought. There's a particular scenario I have in mind, where I've said (on numerous occasions) "That's what I think at the moment. Maybe in five minutes I'll have changed my mind. The Emanuel of five minutes ago is dead."

There is a quote from somewhere about apologizing early, but unfortunately I haven't got round to organizing all my quotes as I'd like. It's something along the lines of another excellent quote:

"An early 'No' saves a lot of trouble"

I'll leave this one for @racroesus though:

“Never ruin an apology with an excuse.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

nomad likes this.
  15. EmanuelShadrack

Forgot to mention:

I agree that certain things should remain in the past. It's just that this particular past incident keeps resurfacing, and I wanted to get to the bottom of it.

My guess is that Frank doesn't stand by every comment he made in the past, and wouldn't make the exact same comments today. (I could be wrong there though - I can't speak for him.)

16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Have just come back from our polling station at Ascott under Wychwood, which was undoubtedly busier than I've seen before (we always go at around noon).

If this is repeated across the country, it could be interesting to see how turnout compares with previous Euro elections. I suspect the Lib Dem vote, as well as the Brexit vote, will be strong - so it may all be as indecisive as anything connected witn Brexit.

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Ex-pats and EU nationals being denied their vote:
    https://www.theparliamentmagazine.e...-under-fire-citizens-denied-vote-eu-elections

https://www.theparliamentmagazine.e...ed-vote-uk-after-online-registration-shutdown

Agata Patyna‏@APatyna

Turned away from polling station this morning. Told I should vote in my EU member state. Called local council yesterday, they confirmed I could vote. Called again today. Apparently council had no time to send out forms to all EU residents. Nothing they can do now #DeniedMyVote

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...european-election-polling-booths-admin-errors

lisa o'carroll‏@lisaocarroll

Just been to polling booth in London Tower Hamlets where two German nationals denied vote. They returned their UC1 form by hand on 2 May. I witnessed Kat phone the no she was given by officials and she was told the form was not processed until 16 May - 9 days after deadline.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You and me both; ourselves alone. Sometimes written as Sinn Fein with the necessary accents.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Which reminds me; has @josienig recovered from the recent Ulster GAA matches? Or still too much Guinness in the system.

20. EmanuelShadrack

I hadn't noticed that. Do you think I'm sufficiently qualified to obtain an Irish passport then? I'd very much like one.