1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who would you dress as for world book day?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by modgepodge, Feb 2, 2012.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Definitely something the kids will know! (I don't know any of the characters/books you mention :S but perhaps I'm not familiar with as much early years literature as I should be).
    Alice in Wonderland or Harry Potter for me I think.

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Well, Elizabeth Bennett (Pride and Prejudice) would definitely be for me!! I suppose it'll have to be Annabeth. I wonder how flattering I can get an orange t-shirt to be...?
    Mind you, Alice is a good idea...

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Mine is usually driven by a character the children would recognise- might be to do with a book we're reading or connected to our topic.
    But main criteria , for me, is can I find the right items in my own wardrobe or Second Hand shop? That decision tends to affect my choice.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I went as 'thing 2' from The Cat in the Hat once. Was easy enough to sort out. My partner teacher went as thing 1.

Not sure about now...I have year 2 so maybe Winnie the Witch. Just need to look a mismatched mess and find a hat and broomstick so wouldn't be too hard.

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Me too! If Ican't amke a costume out of normal clothes I get a bit ... tense!
    Am glad I'm teaching Y5/6!

6. Make it fun - make sure the children will know who you are if possible.
    I always try and make my costume a 'free' one too...the staff always try and model the fun of the day and not that it should be expensive.
    **Cat in the hat is easy - wear black and white, paint on whiskers and a nose, pin on a tail, make a tall hat using strips of red and white card stapled around any baseball cap (red/white or black would look best...I just used my red school uniform sun hat)...when the day is over you just pick the staples out.
    **Harry Potter and crew are pretty easy...just make their scarf/tie using coloured fabric ironed together with magic web and grab a stick as a wand.
    **Winnie the witch is also pretty easy - wear black, bin bag cape, black card hat with silver pen/white chalk detailing
    Good luck!

7. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

White clothes with lots of face powder = the white witch from The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe?

8. We had a Roald Dahl day and I went as the ladybird from James and the Giant peach. I cut 2 semi circles out of a red pillowcase (basic range from asda!) and some circles from old black fabric and sewed them onto the back of a black tee shirt. It was comfy and simple.

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Now you see, this is just the sort of creative hand made thing my sister in law would do...! Bless her!

10. I was Where's Wally a couple of years ago. Easy outfit, instantly recognisable and kids loved it (probably because it's from a book with nothing to read).

11. I'm going as Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter. Going to buy a pink power suit off ebay and smile sweetly all day while thinking evil thoughts!
    Can't wait!

12. lisilu

lisilu Occasional commenter

Pippi Longstocking or Lola from Charlie and Lola
    Both suit my mentality and are easy to do!

13. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Are you male or female?

14. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Last yr I did where's Sally. This year our key stage is having the theme of mr men so might be mr bump

15. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I'm a girl. (sort of, I'll be 40 this year)