1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who would like to predict the outcome of the US mid-term elections?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Will the Yanks come to their senses and allow the Democrats to take control of the House and Senate to stifle Trump's idiocy, or will the Democrats stay at home so that Trump gets enough rope to hang himself with?

2. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

GOP gains more seats in Senate.
    Dems gain seats in House but still not enough for a majority.

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

At the risk of upsetting R_O, I am happy to provide Trump with as much rope as he needs for the job. My fear is for the number of people he'll be taking with him.

I think his lot will win but by less than they thought. The devil looks after his own.

4. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I did think the Democrats would take the House, but that the Republicans will increase their number of seats in the Senate. Now I'm not even sure they will take the House, such is the extent of the white evangelical get-the-vote-out efforts.

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I wouldn't like to predict but I hope at least that the millions of people who've bee persuaded to vote for the first time - not just the teens voting in protest at mas shootings, but all of those who have been persuaded that by voting they can effect real change - are not left disappointed and disaffected.

We are at a tipping point in history: socially, politically and environmentally. If we don't turn it around now, it'll be a long, dark time before we do - if ever.

6. MAGAorMIGA

It's Republicans all the way, I'm afraid. I feel it in my water, even though CNN reported a national poll of 55% Dem, 42% Repub tonight, national polls mean nothing.

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

After the last couple of years of being on the wrong side of all my electoral preferences, I have a horrid feeling we're going to see a triumphalist, bloated, bragging Trump, who will have won the greatest, most tremendous victory ever (even though he isn't being voted for!).

MAGAorMIGA and sparkleghirl like this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

And that's despite this:

On Monday, Facebook, NBC and even the president's favourite network, Fox News, announced they would stop broadcasting a 30-second ad paid for by his campaign.

The clip falsely claimed Democrats let into the US an undocumented Mexican immigrant who murdered two California sheriff's deputies in 2014.

The president last week tweeted the clip, but CNN refused to air it at the weekend, calling it "racist".

Asked about the ad on Monday, Mr Trump told a journalist: "A lot of things are offensive. Your questions are offensive a lot of times."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46095378

9. Duke of York

Interesting bit of PM I caught this evening, had Yankee voters being interviewed about what would be prompting the way they voted. Time and time again, the word "class" was mentioned and aristocracy was slipped in somewhere. What on earth is going on?

The whole ethos of what was great about America was that it's a classless society where any American could become president.

Although I never believed it to actually be possible for any kid to work his way up to the top as the American Dream made out, I did go along with the classless society bit, since Yankeeland doesn't have all the privilege by birth b.ollox that blights our and other European nations.

What's gone on in the space of a few years to make the Yanks start bringing class into their conversations, the way we've long been accustomed to?

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I think the America people will come to their senses and vote overwhelmingly against Trump. "You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time."

The likes of Trump will always have the votes of the scum like the KKK and the gun lobby, but I think the American people in general are fed up with being embarrassed and endangered by the Orange Clown.

red_observer likes this.
  11. Duke of York

In the PM voter interviews I mentioned, one guy said he was fed up with being fed up, and welcomed the fact that something was changing.

When the result of the 1979 UK election was announced, I thought the nation had gone bonkers, to the extent I recall feeling sick in the stomach. I found it impossible to believe that enough people had been taken in by the Thatcher rhetoric to choose anyone but her.

I'm getting on now, but not so much as I can tell the mood of the nation in earlier elections, but I'm getting to think it's a cyclical thing that electorates swing from one extreme to another, with the extremes becoming more extreme for a while, then drifting back to more moderate, as it becomes obvious the extremes don't work.

Any sane person over here finds it difficult to comprehend what the attraction of Trump is, just as the Yanks think it insane that we voted for Brexit. It wouldn't mind betting that we see another term of Trump, before sanity returns.

chelsea2 likes this.
  12. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

There you go. A post I can agree with.

13. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Don’t hold your breath though!

14. MAGAorMIGA

The trouble is they feel neither embarrassed nor endangered - a huge number genuinely love him, even worship him. If, in shock news, it is revealed tomorrow that Trump was in fact the lunatic who went into the Pittsburgh synagogue and mowed the worshippers down, he would STILL get 30%+ of the American vote! What is difficult to comprehend is how American evangelicals, who regard themselves as part of an Elect, long for a Messiah figure in this world to lead them to the next one, long for the Rapture, for the End Times, for Armageddon and, I suppose, even for the Antichrist. What we find difficult to understand is how, for them, Obama is the Antichrist and Trump....

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Possibly, but I was struck by an American poll mentioned on the radio this morning which revealed that the many Americans who hate Trump as a person admire what they feel he has done for the USA and are likely to vote Republican as a result.

16. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

I feel like both bases have been energised by recent events so probably not much will change, there'll be some sort of inconclusive result.

artboyusa likes this.
  17. MAGAorMIGA

Which is rubbish because what has he done for the USA? He's more or less maintained the positive jobs growth from Obama (although jobs growth in Obama's last 21 months - 4.7 million - has slowed slightly to 4.2 million in Trump's first 21 months). He has re-calibrated the United states' foreign policy, moving closer to Israel, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the Philippines while moving further away from the UK, the EU, China and Japan. He's promised, but not raised a single cent towards building a Wall on the Mexico border. He has polarised and divided the American people like no previous leader has done.

18. MAGAorMIGA

Just to clarify, in case it came over as rude, I don't mean your post was rubbish (I agreed with it), just that the Republican supporters' reaction to events makes no sense, apart from their willingness to set aside any kind of critical faculty in regard to the actions of their Dear Leader.

19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

No problem :)

I don't follow USA politics very closely, but I guess Americans would point to the huge decrease in unemployment in the last couple of years (3 million new jobs), and the tax cuts Trump has made (including reducing corporation tax from 35% to, I think, 21%).

20. MAGAorMIGA

Which has had the alarming effect of increasing the National Debt from $474 million to $1 trillion! So much for fiscal conservatism! Of course America can get away with that as long as the dollar remains the world's go-to reserve currency. If an alternative worldwide currency such as the Euro or remnimbi should supplant it, America would be bankrupt in a heartbeat.