1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who will go EYPS or QTS ?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hedda Gabler, Nov 17, 2010.

1. On the other hand, someone with QTS can also be used as a class teacher, I don't think an EYP would be able to do that. So they have more flexibility with QTS people, even if they might be a bit more expensive

2. It's in favour of people with just EYPS and not QTS though, as it is removing the need for professionals to have both qualifications in a children's centre. In school, QTS is needed, true, but it relaxes the demand for children's centres to employ a 'teacher.'

3. I don't think that a QTS is just a bit more expensive than an EYPS onlymemebr of staff. I think that an EYPS has no formal payscale so could earn a third to half less than an experienced QTS ? That is quite a saving in particular if EYPS is employed to work all year and does not get the school holidays.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

There isn't the need to have both qualifications yet...

5. From the dept article cited above
    Evidence clearly demonstrates the positive impact of high-quality staff on the outcomes of children. Ministers trust frontline professionals to use their local knowledge and professional judgement to decide how to use the available evidence to determine the appropriate level of graduate support across their Early Years settings. Removing the requirement for professionals in Sure Start children's centres in the most disadvantaged areas to have both Qualified Teacher and Early Years Professional status will mean they have the flexibility to make better use of the resources available to them.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I know for a fact our CC doesn't employ either anyone with EYPS or a teacher for the statutory 0.5 [​IMG]

7. So the new "reforms" won't save your CC any money. Is it a case of shutting stable door after horse has bolted with these reforms. CCs can't afford graduates and so legislation is changing to support that fact.
    Interesting to know what others think.
    Isn't Nelly in a CC these days. What do you think Nelly et al. ?

8. mumbobumbo

mumbobumbo New commenter

QTS every time :0)

9. The need for QTS is based on the EPPE research which, if my memory serves me correctly, was based on evidence gained in sessional nursery provision (i.e. 2.5 - 3 hours) with children aged 3 plus. With this group, outcomes were seen to be better with QTS. However, the reseach is always used to show that QTS staff are the best for children of all ages including those in full day care who are under three. Improved outcomes for this group does not seem to have been proved and, anecdotally, is likely to be incorrect as most teachers have little experience of working professionally with children under 3. For these children EYPS would seem to be the way forward. Incidentally I currently assess EYPS for the local University and have to say that QTS appears more rigorously examined although its a bit like comparing apples with pears. Much like teachers, some EYPS students are brilliant, others less so.

10. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

I think you have hit the nail on the head here, they can't afford graduates. Many are in financial hardship and relying on other sources for funding. It's all a mockery really isnt it? What was the point of the EPPE research, or really any research into early years, all findings eventually are dismissed through actions. It is very sad that many of these CC's were actually built in places where they were not needed with nurseries, and good quality school nursery classes lost their pupil's whose parents no doubt thought that new building meant excellent access to learning. Hmmmm

11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We have been told that CCs in less deprived areas will be shut and resources focused on those in high need. 2 authorities near me stopped advertising for teachers on teachers pay and conditions and are now advertising on solbury so that they dont get school hols. It costs about the same but they get more value for money. I wanted to go for these jobs, but would be worse off whilst I still have my own kids needing childcare. Might not get the chance in the future now. If the EYP at our local CC is anything to go by, I despair! The teacher, who was a very senior EY advisor, is constantly having to correct her ideas. The manager, who is very good but from a SW background, has a different remit to the teacher and presumably will be responsible for the education of the kids if the teacher role goes.

12. Hi, I used to work on Soulbury and then went on to a term time only contract, my local authority were happy with this as it meant they could pay me less. Depends of course on who else is covering the holidays but it's worth considering.

13. here we are a feW months later and I have read a post form a redundant teacher at CC. It has strated to happen

View profile
    Add as a friend
    488407Send message 1 Posted by: minilady 23/01/2011 at 08:43
    Reply Joined on 02/01/2007
    Posts 158Report abuse
    hi there
    a couple of years ago i moved from teaching in school to working in children's centre.
    Unfortunately last week we were told out team is to be made redundant as our role can now be carried out by peolple with EYPS as the goverment has removed the statutory requirement for teachers in CC.
    Does anyone have a similar experience and what are your plans

14. hi Hedda Gabler
    thank you so much for responding to my original post and linking me into this post.
    latest news - we are a team of 8 CCTs (7 f/t 1p/t) and are on Soulbury (which is higher pay than MPS for teachers) this year we have to loose 3 posts and next year a further 2 posts
    At the moment there are not enough EYPS to cover our current job roles (we support PVIs in our centre's reach areas as well as support two CCs each ie 0.5 teacher in CC)
    At a union meeting this tea time it was mentioned that we cannot be made redundant simply because someone else can do the job cheaper. Also I think a restructure of the authority's Early Years Team is high on the council's agenda.
    We are busy preparing a representation to our Elected Council Members to say why our role should be saved and are searching the internet for studies that support the need for dedicated early years teachers.
    Thanks again for your support - it is much appreciated

15. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

I think it is very unfair if they decide to get rid of qualified teachers and replaced them with EYPs. However, I'm not sure what the future of EYPS training is, as there have been rumours for months now about the government stopping the Graduate Leader Fund, which early years settings rely on to put staff members through training (and to pay them a bit more than the minimum wage for a few years after they qualify). Can't see many nursery managers being willing to fund staff members' training themselves.

16. Whereabouts in the country are you minilady? I have a friend who something similar is happening to in the West Midlands.