1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who will confess to liking Prog Rock? Dominic Sandbrook's programme.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon2113, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Good morning everybody. My name is Bauble and I am a progie.
    I have albums in my collection by ..
    Yes
    Genesis
    Camel
    Druid
    Gentle Giant
    Greenslade
    ELP
    The Flower Kings
    and many, many others.

2. My husband kept saying "got this record" all the way through - next episode he's just going to tell me the ones he hasn't got! He was moaning that the records weren't from the years being discussed - those Led Zep tracks were from '75!
    I am too young to have taken much notice of Prog - by the end of the series it will be more my era.

3. I liked Genesis, Moody Blues and King Crimson.

4. I LOVED Genesis. Had all their albums and saw them live a few times ... brilliant!

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Ah....Trick of the Tail............dream-like quality! Funnily enough was listening to 'Your own special way' only yesterday.

6. WD

WD New commenter

Idly flicking through my cd collection...
    On the good side-Van Der Graf Generator, Caravan, Camel, Early Tangerine dream. Rush. Also Steve Hillage (if he counts)
    Ok but over-rated-Genesis, Yes.
    On the 'god no' side-Barclay James Harvest *wince*

7. WD

WD New commenter

And King Crimson, largely inpenetrable and unlistenable.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Anyone remember Focus? Sylvia and Hocus Pocus were their best known tacks. I think they were Dutch.

9. Focus were THE prog rock band - I have all their albums - the only other person I have met who shares and recitation is a tota geek like I was back in 1973 - my theory being that all prog rock fans were geeks

10. Agree, however Red is stunning, one of my favourite albums.

11. Not to mention " Court of the Crimson King."

mind you ,WD's greatest musical height was " Made in Japan".....:¬))

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

D'you know I can still remember sitting there, listening to that, and forcing myself to try and like it in an effort to get cool.
    [​IMG]

13. Did it work ? :¬))

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

No, it was all too much effort for too little return. I decided to give up on "cool" and stick with the mainstream (T-Rex and glitzy little Marc).
    [​IMG]

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Saw them...and Gordon Giltrap - does he count.
    I loved King Crimson but wasn't so keen on ELP though my ex (who introduced me to prog rock) was a huge fan and travelled from Glasgow to Wembley to see the classic ELP concert.

They're still playing regularly (mostly on The Ferry) - my ex has seen them often. Really nice blokes apparently.

Being a prog rock chick didn't preclude being a fan of glam rock - despite my ex's "disapproval" I still loved my glam rock.

16. Both Focus and Jan Akkerman solo - best guitarist around!
    He's still doing it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy-27U13jHc

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm off to see a Wishbone Ash tribute band next week...should be interesting as I don't know any of their stuff. I lost the toss of the coin!

18. Wishbone Ash...Andy Powell and Ted Turner (or was it Martin? )..best twin lead guitar ever.
    Argus is a classic album.

19. Well I would tell them that you don't want your memories of all the concerts and your lost vinyl to be sullied by a tribute band. They are still going after 40 years: http://wishboneash.com/
    [​IMG]

20. Agreed!