1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who will be the first to tell of an email from a Sudanese prince or lawyer?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47997729

"A source in Sudan's judiciary told Reuters news agency that suitcases loaded with more than $351,000, €6m ($6.7m; £5.2m) and five billion Sudanese pounds ($105m) were found at Mr Bashir's home."

As I try to get my head around which of these numbers are potentially accurate and meanngful, I can't help but wonder if that was the sum total that Sudan's ex-leader has stashed away or whether we are destined for yet another onslaught of emails, trying to tempt us to help salt the rest of his fortune away from thos in better need of it.

Goodness knows how much the rest of the world might prosper when Brexit ends up in tears and the nation goes on a lynch hunt after those intending to cash in on it.

How much do you reckon the families and lawyers of the leaders of the leave campaign will be pleading with Nigerians to help salt away after the rioters have strung the charlatans up?

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Established commenter

Another day, another fantasy.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I wonder how much space 5 billion Sudanese pounds in banknotes takes up? That's at least 25 million banknotes. (largest denomination is 200 Sudanese pounds according to Wikipedia)

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The largest denomination Sudanese note is £200. So that would be 25000000 notes. A £20 (UK) note weighs 1 gram. Assuming their money would be the same the Sudanese currency would weigh 25000kg or 25 tonnes! You are not going to run far with that!

Vince_Ulam and LondonCanary like this.
  5. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Makes it easier to launder the money if the currency has such high denominations.

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I've got some Sudanese notes from when I worked there. Think they are smaller than British notes.

1 Sudanese pound is equal to 0.016 pound sterling.

7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Lead commenter

Sudan. Don't want to encourage Trump but it does actually read like a total ********.
    If anyone knows better, please let me know.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I noticed that US and African news sites are reporting it as 5 million Sudanese pounds, not billion. If that's true it's a rather more manageable 25 kg.