1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who watched Tonight on ITV last night?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RKM, Oct 14, 2011.

1. RKM

RKM

It was about classroom disipline. I can't believe how teachers are hauled over just because of an allegation a child has made. It doesn't matter how bad the parent is at home, but the teacher is taken to court.
    I would never get involved in stopping a fight (especially now as I am preggers).
    On the program they were say that as teachers we could delete material off electronic devices if it was causing distruption, or we could search students. What child would ever let us do that?? But they did hightlight the fact that displine MUST be from the top and SLT must be there to enforce it!!!! There lies the problem!!! If SLT are type that "blame" the classroom teacher for everything, then what chance do we have to to teach outstanding lessons. Currently students seem to rule the roost. Forget looking at the lesson plan get the kids into the classroom in a civilised manner is getting difficult.
    What do other people think?

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I agree that unless there is a clear behaviour policy which is adhered to, by everyone, the whole structure collapses. It is no good an individual teacher trying to enforce boundaries that won't be backed up. I advised another poster on the SEN board who was about to start work in a PRU to find out about their behaviour policy and what sanctions could be enforced. Unless everyone (staff and students) are clear on this then there will be chaos.
    If a student can't stick to the boundaries then the reasons need exploring - and additional support put in place if necessary - but SLT not following through on agreed sanctions then blaming teachers is not acceptable and doesn't do anyone any good.

3. Mobiles have been a thorn in the side for classrooms and yes which pupil is going to let you delete material from it? The school that i am currently at does not allow mobiles into classrooms. If a pupil takes a mobile into school it is put into the school safe until the end of the school. Those that cause a problem have the mobile taken until a parent/carer can get into school and collect it, which may take a few days. Have to say that it causes very few problems.

4. RKM

RKM

See thats where our problem lies. The hardcore kids who refuse are the ones where sanctions mean nothing. Confiscating and calling parents is more hassle, as parents go off on one sayingwhat right do you have taking the phone off my child. If a child knows that the parents are on the kids side rather that school, its loosing battle!

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Look at Educating Essex.and see the problems few children cause to the rest,and the time management teams spend sorting it.
    Yet the whole problem is the unwillingness of heads to take sanctions sometimes.When i was a boy you walked into school and there the world ,as it where,stopped.YOu played by the school rules,if not you where punished and then out.... too many local LEA and governors take the child's side and want the children back(partly i suspect because they cant find anywhere else for them)
    As to the new rules...note.they are only stil passing through parliment....they are not law.so dont try what Gove says .yet!( as personal comment i still dont like the man..his looks remind me of something).
    I would have been more interested if the teachers where allowed to debate the isues more and allow them to suggest solutions.and what bravery to allow yourself to be recognised as abused and dumped on..with all the consquences that might possibly bring.

6. Personally i dont find it a hassle to call a parent to collect a confiscated mobile. Parents know the rules and they can moan all day long about having to make the trip into school. If a pupil refused to hand over a mobile it would be forcibly taken from them by two members of staff who are trained to hold a pupil without causing harm, although perhaps a little uncomfortable for a short period of time. Remember that we are in control!

7. RKM

RKM

If a pupil refused to hand over a mobile it would be forcibly taken from them by two members of staff who are trained to hold a pupil without causing harm, although perhaps a little uncomfortable for a short period of time. "How has that gone down with parents???"

8. Parents have a number of choices: 1 make sure their child does not take a mobile to school. 2. Leave it to the school to deal with the problem if the pupil has broken the school rules. 3. Find another school for their child if they are not happy with having the mobile taken from their child. Seems to me that too many teachers have this worry about parents.

9. Don't be silly.

10. Why silly? Think it is silly that the state of our education system is in at the moment because pupils are under the impression that they can do what they want and when they want to. Am sorry but i love the school that i work in and thats because there is a zero tolerance to breaking the school rules. If only others had the determination to clamp down on the behaviours widely publicized.

11. RKM

RKM

Seems to me that too many teachers have this worry about parents.
    When you have a head that constantly throws "falling numbers" and the impact on your job at you all the time, then it makes you think. For that reason, the current head who has been in post for 2yrs hasn't got rid of anyone, whereas at this moment in time there are possibly 15 kids that we would happliy say goodbye to.

12. The option is always there to 'find yourself another school', but because the school is such a good school parents dont. In the two years that i have worked at the school not one pupil has been excluded, in fact there is a non exclusion policy. Excluded a pupil does not, but on rare occasions change behaviours. I have found that it does not work and many pupils would rather be at home. After a 'break' the pupils return with the same behaviour. We keep them in lessons and not in inclusion. It does work.