1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who wanted a new sewing machine?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thistledoo, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:16 AM.

1. thistledoo

thistledoo Established commenter

A little while ago someone was thinking of buying a new sewing machine and asked for recommendations.

The poster said they would wait.

Well, Lidl have their sewing machine and overlocker offers on this week.

marlin likes this.
  2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

4. Lara mfl 05

Oh. posted at the same time as marlin. Great minds. . . .:)

thistledoo and marlin like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It certainly wasn't me!

They terrify me and my sewing is sock-darning and taking up hems. The devil's tool!

thistledoo, marlin and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

My OH got a Lidl overlocker a couple of months ago - and very excited about it too! Looks a bit Heath Robinson to me!
    IMG_0676.PNG

thistledoo and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Thanks all!

I've been otherwise occupied until now.

I shall go and have a look later.

thistledoo, marlin and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

Bloody HELL! What is that thing???

I saw it in Lidl today.

What is overlocking???

Is it like blanket stitch? I have never knowingly sewn anything in my life. My mother did it all until I was allowed to give it up. :eek::eek::eek:

thistledoo likes this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Well I suppose it is similar to a blanket stitch, in that it finises off the edges. However it is a type of zig-zag stitch which sews and finishes off the edge at the same time -to avoid fraying.
    Some even trim the material at the same time.
    [​IMG]

thistledoo and Dragonlady30 like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

Thank you @Lara mfl 05

How is that even possible? How does a machine DO that??? :eek:
    It's like magic.

knitone, thistledoo and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've toyed with the idea of getting an overlocker but that machine is seriously scary. I wouldn't know where to start or where to get those cones of thread in the right colours.

thistledoo likes this.
  12. lapinrose

lapinrose Senior commenter

There's only £10 off the overlocker!! I was tempted but doubt whether I'd use it often enough to justify spending £120 on a machine that would gather dust!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Lara mfl 05

They're not all as complicated as the one in the picture. That one is a four thread one. Those cones are not that difficult to buy. Son regularly buys some for his business.
    [​IMG] This looks slightly less scary?

thistledoo likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

You see, I look at that and think it must be some kind of kitchen utensil. Some hybrid slicer/spiraliser thing.

Or a Disney robot from a kiddie film.

But it doesn't say 'sewing machine'. It says 'what sorcery is this'.

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've looked more closely at the Lidl one and it says you can use 2, 3 or 4 cones. There are two branches of Lidl near me I might go and check them out tomorrow and see if they have any left.

16. Lara mfl 05

Of course you can. There are many different overlocking stitches requiring different cones.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

thistledoo, Dragonlady30 and InkyP like this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

Dear Gawd, can't we have something simpler like threads on rocket science or neurosurgery???!!!

How do people learn this? How do you get this knowledge?

18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

My next door neighbour has eight sewing machines, including some that you programme and they appear to do pretty designs all on their own. I can't fathom it. My mum used to have a Singer with a treadle thing. I could never thread the needle.

Next door neighbour's husband has fifteen computers, so I guess she has some catching up to do.

19. Lara mfl 05

In my case, 'from my mother's knee'. Like her mother before her, through necessity, she had to sew her own clothes.
    I made my first outfit aged 8, a skirt and embroidered bolero. I never had to look at the order of what to do when, because I knew 'instinctively' what came next / needed doing first. Probably because I'd watched my mother do it so many times it had become 'ingrained' without my being aware I'd learnt it.

20. Lara mfl 05

My son has just bought his fourth sewing machine for his business. From a good old fashioned (circa 1930s) sturdy and sews through pretty nearly everything machine to a very modern, also expensive, machine which does embroidery.

thistledoo likes this.