1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who uses gloves at petrol stations?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dominant_tonic, Aug 11, 2015.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Was in an interminably long queue at Tesco petrol station yesterday, and was idly watching people fill their cars up. There was a young woman filling up who was looking in the dispensers for a pair of disposable gloves.

It struck me that not only had I never used these gloves, but that I had not noticed anyone else use them before, and I fill up fairly often.

Do you use them?

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I did when I had a diesel

3. dominant_tonic

Why? I am missing something very obvious I daresay. I would have thought dirt/smell would be the reason - is that particularly different with diesel and petrol?

4. doomzebra

Diesel is a fuel oil whilst petrol us a spirit. Petrol evaporates from the pump nozzles/handles far faster than does diesel. My psoriasis flared up far more after using diesel pumps if I went unloved.

5. dominant_tonic

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks. Silly the things you realise you don't know. My dad suffered horrendously with psoriasis, now he has 'just' the arthritis that can accompany it, and his skin is clear thanks to methotrexate etc.

Never thought of the pumps aggravating skin conditions etc before, and never having had a diesel car, hadn't given the differences a second thought. Interesting, thanks.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not only that - holding a steering wheel with dieselly hands is not a smart move.

7. dominant_tonic

Hmm. Obviously diesel is more messy than petrol, have never had that problem.

8. doomzebra

I am now riddled with psoriatic arthritis. The methotrexate helps but is *** up my liver.

9. dominant_tonic

Oh dz, that's grim. It seems to be a particularly severe and difficult to treat type of arthritis. Dad has aged so much in the past few years. Finally getting some luck with lyrica, and the humira injections help somewhat, but it's a definite b*gger. Sorry.

10. doomzebra

Thanks d-t

11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

This strikes me as a tad OCDish but then soaking ones hands in octane is hardly the recipe for eternal good health either.

12. dominant_tonic

No, a tad OCDish as you say, but a point that has never worried me in the slightest as it's only residue, never noticed any fuel per se on hands. A valid point nonetheless. One of things I love about school holidays is the not having to fill the tank up. Payday was the last time, just coming to the end now (didn't fuel yesterday, used the shop).

13. doomzebra

Yes, preventing large chunks of your skin falling off your hands, having watched them turn into lizard scales first, is so damn compulsive.

Pig ignorant fuqwit.

14. dominant_tonic

Apologies dz, I totally mis-read that post. I read it as he considered that it was a bit OCDish to be concerned about the fuel, not that psoriasis prevention was a little OCDish - obviously don't agree with that. I think unless you have seen/experienced someone's or your own limbs turning into a bloody pulp you don't get it. It's not an annoying skin condition, it's damn painful, unsightly, an absolutely swine to treat, as well as being intensely itch etc. If the OCD was referring to this, then I concur with your post DZ.

15. doomzebra

Since the gloves and the skin condition are inextricably linked in my (and possibly the girl in the opening post's) case, then I regard scienceteachasghost's comment bloody stupid and crass.

16. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I'm sorry to hear about the psoriasis and arthritis, DM. When my eczema was getting to the 'pizza' stage, I was put on methotrexate for a while, the effects of which made a social leper. Not only is not too good for your liver, in some people, like me, it does interferes with you gut flora and promotes gales of the most evil-smelling wind. My wife nearly banished me tot he shed!

I've never bothered with using gloves at a petrol station, with diesel or petrol, even when mixing oil and petrol for a two-stroke. A bit late to start now, I suppose.

I know what you mean about the 'interminable queues' at Tesco, for fuel. Our nearest petrol station is a Tesco metro. This is on a corner and the queues for this can be so long that it blocks up both roads. To have cars standing blocking a pump space while its owner does their shopping is a ridiculous one. The queues at the checkout snake round the shop as well. the staff there work on the reciprocal principle: the most customers waiting to be served, the fewer tills are open.

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Sorry to read about your psoriatic arthritis too, DZ. In fact, although I have occasionally suffered from stress-related psoriasis (guttate psoriasis, according to the doctor) I have not heard of a link between psoriasis and arthritis until I read your post. I had always assumed, too, that the gloves available on forecourts were for safety rather than health reasons.

18. tidal

tidal New commenter

Both really and by consumer choice too.
    People with existing conditions like DZ aside, there are concerns that repeated dermal exposure to diesel and (though less so) to petrol can trigger a number of skin conditions and can cause problems for people with open wounds (cuts abrasions)

There's the safety aspect that Nomad alludes to and rightly so

And there's the fact that both diesel and petrol smell "nasty" and though diesel smell linger longer (slower evaporation) there are some who believe that petrol smells linger almost as long
    If you transfer the contamination from hands to the inside of the car then the problem is exacerbated.

That said I have rarely used gloves in a filling station except when I'm fully booted and suited and going somewhere special

19. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

I am sure I once read the petrol pump handle is one of the most bacteria ridden things on the planet. The petrol stations do not clean them so loads (thousands?) of coin covered, often filty hands on them before you...)

I have hand wipes in the car that I use after filling the car.

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes, I carry hand-gel in the car. Handling money is my OCD bugbear.

I've driven diesels for decades but never used gloves and never spilled fuel on my mitts. Despite being one of the most cack-handed individuals known to man. Or woman.