1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who to write to?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lottee1000, Jan 24, 2012.

1. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Hi, am writing a letter of application to a school which is part of an large group of schools run from an umbrella organisation. Normally I would address my application letter to the headteacher, however i know recruitment in this organisation is run through the central admin, rather than the schools themselves. So who do I write to on my application letter?! 'Dear hiring manager' makes me want to gip, so do I ignore the fact that the headteacher won't read it until way down the line and address it to him anyway?

2. lottee1000

Hi, am writing a letter of application to a school which is part of an large group of schools run from an umbrella organisation. Normally I would address my application letter to the headteacher, however i know recruitment in this organisation is run through the central admin, rather than the schools themselves. So who do I write to on my application letter?! 'Dear hiring manager' makes me want to gip, so do I ignore the fact that the headteacher won't read it until way down the line and address it to him anyway?

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

A name is better than no name. The name of the HR Manager/Director would perhaps be best, but the name of the Head Teacher would also be fine (and better than no name).

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Formal letter with their job title and address on the left then address to 'Dear Sir / Madam'
    Normally an advert will state something along the lines of, "Please apply to, "Head of Recruiting / Headmaster's PA / Mr Bigfatgit" therefore, you should use that as above
    Also, check out the website of the specific school as they might also be showing the vacancy there with the boss' name etc. You might be able to apply directly to the school even although

5. Were you shot?

6. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Might as well have been - a whole section my post disappeared

7. lottee1000

Please, don't get shot on my account...
    And of course it's a formal letter style, I couldn't bring myself to send anything else. However, have scoured the interwebz to try and find the name of the recureitment manager, nothing out there. Which makes me a little suspicious... Anyway, headteacher will do. Thanks for input.