1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who to put as references for a job

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by HelloThere22, Feb 18, 2020.

1. HelloThere22

HelloThere22 New commenter

Only started supply in September as I graduated this year.
    When jobs start coming out, who do i put as a reference when they ask for 2?
    Of course one will be my university, but who else?
    Surely i wouldnt put my agencies, and it feels like placements were ages ago,
    Could I ask a school i've done a lot of day to day supply in if they could be one?

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I recently started a new job outside of teaching and I put my agency down as a referee as they were my last employers.

You could ask one of the schools where you have done lots of day to day supply but that would not be an employer’s reference but more of a character reference.

sbkrobson and pepper5 like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That's fine if your agency pay you PAYE rather than through a third party company.
    But signing up to a new agency last year, I had this conversation, and they told me that they advised their teachers to put the latest and previous payroll company down as referees. I argued that they did not know me from Adam, that they had no clue about my performance etc etc, but the agency were adamant that those long distance folk who you never see but who simply issue your pay documents and tax paperwork are your employers and so should stand as referee.
    So I took this advice and when I went for an interview in a school on the strength of it, they confirmed too that the payroll company were contacted as referees.
    This was all new to me and I found it really quite odd, but all parties confirmed it to be fine. A faceless nameless PO Box as a referee for a teaching job. Who knew?!

agathamorse and Jesmond12 like this.