1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

who to put as a reference

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by zcsaa44, Jan 26, 2012.

1. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

I have had this question for years and never found the answer.

Who do I put as a reference if the head of my last school has changed? Do I put the head of faculty down? And do I need to ask my former head of department if they are ok with me putting them down as a referee? I always assume they have one written from the past times they wrote one when I had to stick them down.

James

Also I have a question that has always intrigued me, I know a teacher who has been teaching for 11 years at the first school that employed him. Who would he put as his references?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What do you mean by your last school?
    Do you mean that you are no longer employed in education?
    It is certainly your current Head that you should have as your first referee if you are still working in a school, and after that it doesn't matter who you have - anyone at all in a management role from either your current or previous school will do fine.
    If you are not currently working in a school, and the former Head has gone, then Deputy Head (who will have access to the documents about you in school), would be the obvious choice.
    Courtesy decrees that you should ask EVERYONE.
    Cannot see a problem here. Current Head plus anyone else in management role. Have I missed a point?
    Or - it just occurs to me - do you believe that you cannot have two referees from the same school?
    Of course you can.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

3. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

I thought you couldn't have 2 references from the same school, thanks again for advice.

Is it better to have people from 2 different schools? I would assume it doesn't matter

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No - it's best to have two referees who know your most recent work and therefore having two from the school you currently (or most recently) work in is best.

5. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I'm having a similar dilema myself in that I am applying for a job in the school where I last worked. I put down the HoD as I know them well and have their email address and mobile number.
    I would usually put down the Head as my other referee but since they are the Head of the school I am applying to I use another Head instead!
    I see the other Head quite often and know that they would be happy to be my back up referee.