1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who to address a cover letter to

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by peanut333, Dec 25, 2019.

1. peanut333

peanut333 New commenter

Hello,

I'm doing my PGDE this year and the job application process has begun!

I understand that with cover letters, it's best to address this to the headteacher (and not Dear Sir, Madam, etc.) But I wondered how this works with academies? Is it better to address the letter to the Executive Headteacher - head of the academy trust or the associate headteacher - head of the specific school? I'd guess it would be the latter, but I would rather double-check!

Many thanks!

2. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

Check the school's website and find the name of the headteacher or the most relevant leader listed. It is certainly possible the address the letter to multiple people within the school. However, I would not expect the using Sir/Madam would count against you.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

However the careless but common mistake of addressing the letter to the HT of another establishment tends to be fatal to the application! Worth a last-minute check always.

gingerhobo48 and rideemcowboy like this.