1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who supports the TAs pupils when they are taken to cover/teach the class?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Pennyforyourthoughts, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

When a TA is taken to cover/teach a class who support the pupils that they would normally be working with. I have taught in some schools where there are several pupils being supported by the same TA but not all statemented thus the TAs funding for the one child is spread to encompass several at the same time. NOW this helps a teacher considerably when teaching a class with several needs pupils. Senario................ you are called to cover/teach the class ... who supports them for you to be able to carry out your duties. It must be so much tougher than when the teacher does it with you helping them? Does this happen or do you get another TA to cover your pupils?

2. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

When a TA is taken to cover/teach a class who support the pupils that they would normally be working with. I have taught in some schools where there are several pupils being supported by the same TA but not all statemented thus the TAs funding for the one child is spread to encompass several at the same time. NOW this helps a teacher considerably when teaching a class with several needs pupils. Senario................ you are called to cover/teach the class ... who supports them for you to be able to carry out your duties. It must be so much tougher than when the teacher does it with you helping them? Does this happen or do you get another TA to cover your pupils?

3. If I cover the class that I normally work with, then I try to keep an eye on the children I normally work with. It is not always possible. If I am called to cover another class then no-one covers me. The children are left in class working by themselves.

4. I''m confused by the question: the TA's pupils?
    If this means you are always allocated the same child/ren to work with on daily basis, there is a problem. Unless of course this is a specific need with allocated LSA time. Too many teachers palm off their SEN children to the LSAs to keep them quiet.

5. TAs don't cover classes in the school I work in. PPA time is covered by French and PHSE & C lessons, taught by teachers :)