1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who suffers from hay fever?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Jul 20, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I've had an ailment that's been troubling me for a couple of weeks and it's driving me round the bend. Constant runny nose, but no other cold symptoms.
    I've spent a fortrune on cold remedies, but they don't do anything. Frankly, I'm dying here.
    My best guess is I've developed an allergy to pollen, and because I've been recently spending a lot of time at my friend's place where he has a lot of land he's allowing to grow wild to benefit wildlife, I've become sensited.
    I've never suffered from hay fever before, but on the other hand, I've never spent quite so long as I now do in an entirely rural environment.
    What's the cure?

2. modelmaker

I've had an ailment that's been troubling me for a couple of weeks and it's driving me round the bend. Constant runny nose, but no other cold symptoms.
    I've spent a fortrune on cold remedies, but they don't do anything. Frankly, I'm dying here.
    My best guess is I've developed an allergy to pollen, and because I've been recently spending a lot of time at my friend's place where he has a lot of land he's allowing to grow wild to benefit wildlife, I've become sensited.
    I've never suffered from hay fever before, but on the other hand, I've never spent quite so long as I now do in an entirely rural environment.
    What's the cure?

3. No cure, just ways of coping with it.
    My personal combination is nasal sprays, antihistamines (ceterizine) and tissue salts. Eye drops in the evening when my eyes feel like sandpaper.
    Took a while to find the combination that eased it all though.

4. Don't forget that cold remedies also include decongestants... these unblock sinuses and make your nose run.
    I'd say ditch the cold remedies and spend a fortue on hayfever tablets. Then you'll find out if it is an ongoing sinus infection (or something similar) or hayfever.
    Just be glad of what your symptoms are... mine are nosebleeds that can last half hour if my nostrils become irritated - I knock it/high pollon count etc... Combine that with a cold (which means nose-blowing) and I live in constant fear, lol.
    Good luck figuring it out! [​IMG]

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Nobody had hay fever when I was young. Therefore I am immune.

6. I had it terribly and was one of those annoying children who needed (yes, really needed) to stay inside during playtimes in the Summer when I was in Primary school. My hayfever reduced me to a wreck. Itchy eyes, itchy roof of mouth, even itchy ears. I'd also sneeze constantly until I was exhausted. I was later treated with an annual injection just before the season started, but that hasn't been done in the last few years.
    Thankfully I have pretty much grown out of it and only occasionally get some sneezing and some itchy eyes. One a day lotaradine does the trick to keep the rest of the symptoms at bay.

7. Me. Experiment with antihistamine but beware that even the supposedly non drowsy ones can make you dozy. Mine's worse in the city- the combination of pollution and pollen seems to trigger it.

8. modelmaker

I'm guessing I have hay fever, but it seems likely. Of the few ailment's I've had the misfortune to be stricken with, this takes a lot of beating as a punishment. Out of the blue something happens and my nose steams. I have no idea why and no way of predicting it. Sometimes I can't even feel it hapenning, just a few drips appear on my work that leave me scurrying for a tissue.
    And the worse of all is the build up of snot inside and underneath my nose which appears as an welcome guest no matter how many times I clean it off.
    I mostly get through life by finding a humourous side to the unpleasant things I encounter. Maybe after I recover form this bout of whatever affliction I have I'll be inclined to view it a different, humourous and more friendly manner, but if it turns out to be hay fever, you other sufferers have my deepest sympathy.
    I've spent more on trying to get on top of it than I've ever spent in medication for anything else. It strikes me that drug compamies know when they're onto a winner. Things that are life threatening you'd have to visit the doctor for are probably cured by cheaper drugs.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I used to suffer with hayfever quite badly, it got a lot better when I stopped having milk, so no drinking milk, no milk in tea or coffee, cooked milk seems ok as does cheese. Do see your GP if it continues but try homeopathy or antihistamines. Another remedy is said to be eating honey from the area where you get hayfever. So if you get hayfever from your friend's farm, see if he does honey as well.
    The cheapest drug is piriton!

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I used to suffer with hayfever quite badly, it got a lot better when I stopped having milk, so no drinking milk, no milk in tea or coffee, cooked milk seems ok as does cheese. Do see your GP if it continues but try homeopathy or antihistamines. Another remedy is said to be eating honey from the area where you get hayfever. So if you get hayfever from your friend's farm, see if he does honey as well.
    The cheapest drug is piriton!

11. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I get it worse than anyone I know, even with antihistamines, eye drops and nasal spray I find it draining. It exhausts me each and every year.
    Now for the gloat factor, I haven't had it this year! Slight itchy eyes on the ocassional day and a few sneezes BUT no tablets, eye drops or nasal spray, no exhaustion apart from the typical end of year stuff, I am soooooo grateful. Even if this one year turns out a reprieve I thank the gods, I might consider prayer if it wards it off for further years!
    But all of the above and I feel your pain, metaphorically speaking for this year.xx
    [​IMG]

12. That doesn't sound like hayfever, unless you're also itchy and/or sneezy.

13. Netti Pot all the way - no chemicals, no side effects and frankly astonishing efficacy, and it only costs about £3 and lasts forever.

14. Agreed. It is the itchy eyes that make it the most unpleasant ailment.

15. I got it for the first time at 20, after moving from London to an outer suburb of a small town - quite near though not actually in the country. Unfortunately, it did not go away when I moved back to London. However, when I moved to a rural part of Scotland, I no longer got it. Just a bit of a sniffle occasionally if the weather is nice, but no more itchy swollen eyes.