1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who should write the timetable?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Tosha, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Any views ?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Assuming secondary - not the HT. Too many other things and too many interruptions.

You need someone who has the right type of mind - possibly a mathematician - and someone who can negotiate robustly with senior staff as well as being diplomatic with all. You need someone with enough time to do the job properly, and someone who carries enough weight with SLT.

There is possibly an argument for having the timetabler off SLT, so that they work for SLT rather than in SLT.

You also need a second-in-command who can pick up the pieces if the timetabler falls ill or whatever.

Alternatively you could buy in consultancy - which would cost you up front, but would save on the salary bill. Always worth exploring.

3. Quijote

Quijote New commenter

And in primary not the HT. Someone needs to set the parameters: break times, assemblies, hall timetable, ICT suite timetable etc. But then each teacher prepares his or her own timetable and passes it to the head for information and checking.

4. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Thanks for the reply, I ask because I currently (struggle to) write the timetable and manage SIMs whilst leading the Computing department.

The outsourcing option is interesting but doesn't seem viable due to the constantly changing nature of the timetable and its impact on funding and assessment.

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

In my last school it was done by the Admin Data Manager. It is best practice to have 2 people working on it.