1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who should play the elephant man?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Oct 6, 2018.

?

Who should plan the Elephant Man?

1. Charlie Heaton

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Adam Pearson

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So a new adaptation of the elephant man story is in the works and reading this story [ LINK ] Charlie Heaton has got the role.

[​IMG]

Aah ain't he purty.

The story also mentions Adam Pearson... who wasn't considered for the role but does have some qualities that would lend him to the part.

[​IMG]

Pearson can be heard here discussing the situation : https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/present...tor-adam-pearson-criticises-bbc-elephant-man/

Now I confess, I don't know how good an actor Pearson is. But Charlie Heaton has always been pretty-boy bland to me [then again, Stranger Things got very unstrange after season 2 when it turned out they have no new ideas]. On another thread I did say I'd like it if a character who was white was played by a white actor, a black character by a black actor*... well here is an actor with Joseph Merricks disability and ... he isn't considered. Considering Merrick was a real person I'm sure many would find it odd if Alec Baldwin was cast as Martin Luther King or Helen Mirren as Ghandi.

* this of course leads me to the silly place of saying ''gay actors only for gay roles'' so that's Sheldon Cooper done... so I'm not a stickler for the argument. Best actor for the role IMO.

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

No-one could top John Hurt's portrayal, surely? And now he's gone, why try?

annie2010 and nomad like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Part of me does agree...

But isn't the story worth retelling for a modern audience? After all we have the fourth adaptation of ''A Star is Born'' in cinemas with Lady Gaga and Brandon Cooper... I think Merricks story is worthy of retelling...

And we're on season what of Doctor Who?

4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Fair point, @lanokia - although I'm not sure about "A Star is Born". Remakes are only worth doing, it seems to me, if they have something new to say. I haven't seen the latest version of this particular one, so I can't comment.
    From the information that the producers are looking to cast Charlie Heaton, I suspect there won't be much new to this version. But I may be wrong.
    Merrick had an interesting life, and there could be all sorts of parallels with our current obsession with celebrities and their appearance, for example.
    Dr Who? Not my thing at all. But the new series isn't a remake, is it?

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I believe the story is going to be told from Merrick's point of view which is a new approach. Presumably this production wouldn't be made unless they could be sure of a good audience, here and in the US, so they choose a big name (to some people) to sell the show. This is the only way these things get made. It's not a documentary. I believe that some actors with disabilities have been cast in smaller roles.

mothorchid likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Boris Johnson

colpee likes this.
  7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

It's not like Adam Pearson is going to be put into the running for a lot of other roles though is it? I mean, it's one thing to want the best talent, but let's not pretend that he's ever going to stand a chance in the role of Christian Grey, where the entire premise of the book rests on the conventional attractiveness of the character. While in favour in general of the whole idea of 'best person for the role' in all situations, it's not unwise to acknowledge that this mantra only seems to apply when it's a case of casting someone ablebodied and attractive as someone disabled and (conventionally speaking) unattractive while it still rarely applies the other way round.