1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Who should i see for shoulder pain?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon3034, Apr 25, 2011.

  1. Sounds like a frozen shoulder, which I have at the minute, and which is extremely painful at times. I went to GP, who referred me to physio and got exercises to do to try and improve restricted movement. She also manipulated it which was painful at the time, but felt good afterwards. Unfortunately a frozen shoulder can take around a year to get better. I would go to GP first, just to rule out anything else, especially if you have chest pain.
  2. paeony

    paeony Occasional commenter

    GP's generally useless - hubby had shoulder/arm pain which really affected him (couldn't sleep, couldn't lift etc etc). Luckily we have private health insurance who referred him to a specialist physio, who did manipulation (like chiropractors) and deep tissue massage, and then gave him exercises. Though it turned out that the pain was from his neck, and was translated pain, so nothing at all to do with the shoulder/arm which hurt.
  3. anteater

    anteater New commenter

    OP, if it is diagnosed as a frozen shoulder, as suggested above, I can highly recommend acupuncture. I am a sceptic, but the results were unbelievable!

  4. Thanks everyone, that's really helpful.
  5. I've just finished 4 months of (private) sports physio for shoulder and back problems - it was worth every penny! I did see my GP at the time the initial shoulder injury/ies occurred (early December) and she did a referral for NHS physio... the letter to book my first appointment arrived just last week, a month after my private physio discharged me. I had torn rotator cuffs and bursitis (both shoulders) plus longstanding problems with my thoracic spine and I am now completely fixed.
  6. Thanks. I'm going to see my GP and ask him to refer me to some sort of specialist - hopefully the GP will know which kind!

Share This Page