1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who plans for our classes when covered by a HLTA ?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by iamagoodgirl, Mar 7, 2010.

1. It is disputed or rather rumoured that ppa will be covered by HLTA's from September. Currently it is covered by a teacher. As many of us have spilt sessions ie part morning/part afternoon we plan for part of it and the cover teacher only plans for the lesson that they actually start.
    I am twenty minutes into my lesson when my ppa session starts so I have obviously planned it. The ppa teacher plans for the lesson that follows. We have more sessions in the morning than afternoon which explains the spilt. We finish at 3.00 so our morning sessions are longer as we don't have lunch until 12.30.
    However this means that sometimes the ppa teacher only plans for one session a day while every one else has to plan for the remainder. Sometimes it defeats the object of ppa as to have just one session not plan and mark for defeats the object of reduced workload.
    This might be one reason when it is thought that it might be covered by a HLTA. We have a threshold teacher covering at present but they do seem to be having a much more reduced work load than the rest of us. I am sure we'd all like to plan for just 5 lessons a week !!. This is not the ppa teachers fault but just as things have worked out. A couple of teachers have taken a stance and plan a short session until ppa teacher arrives and expects them to plan for something the moment they arrive. Maybe techincally ok but a bit unfair on the kids.
    HOWEVER, what happens if ppa is covered by the HLTA. Do you plan/mark ?.
    If a HTLA covered my part session as now I would see it fair for me to plan ( i do now anyway). We often see the ppa teacher as just baby sitting anyway as they kids are at desks working when they arrive. As the session that they need to start off who plans/marks it if it is a HLTA. I can see them up in arms if it is their responsibility to do so and some say that they will refuse to do the planning. These are only rumours but when I attend courses and see how ppa is covered and treated in so many different ways I am confused. It hasn't really reduced my work load like I thought it would

2. As far as I am aware, you should not have to plan for any of your PPA cover time, or have marking as a result. In our school some cover is by HLTAs. They plan and mark where necessary. They do seem to do quite a lot of their own planning and they don't get any PPA to do it in.

3. What is the reaction from the HLTA's when they have to plan a lesson ?. Do you help them with ideas, provide resources etc or do just let them get on with it. Our HLTA's are very capable people so I know that they would do a good job. I just wouldn't want to put on them, so to speak.
    My ppa sessions are often changed/cancelled/moved sometimes on the day that they are meant to happen so any ppa I get I am grateful for, especially if I haven't got to plan and mark it !. There is nothing worse than a message at 9.10 saying "Can you swop today and have all afternoon and not have your hour this morning". I then have to :
    1. Find a lesson at short notice for that morning
    2. Find a lesson to give to the ppa teacher coming in at short notice after lunch as they obvioulsy won't have planned for two lessons, just one

4. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

We have HLTAs who cover PPA and NQT time. They are expected to plan and mark the work and are given their own PPA time pro-rata to do so.
    I have noticed that the HLTA who teaches one of my lessons every week hasn't marked any of the work in the kids' books. Plus, I have never received any plans or assessments from them. So if they're away, I don't know what's been covered and what they were supposed to be doing in that lesson they're away. So I'm not sure what's going on there. It's very clear in my school that the HLTAs plan and assess their own lessons!

5. Please note, HLTA's are NOT supposed to PLAN lessons. They are not Qualified Teachers. HLTA's are supposed to follow teacher's plans.

Do you really think parents would appreciate their children being taught by someone who only requires a secondary school education????

I just hope all HLTA's belong to a union! DO NOT PLAN.......

(I'm an HLTA (though I have a university degree in another field)).

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

HLTAs standard
    Planning and expectations
    Those awarded HLTA status must demonstrate, through their practice, that they:
    17. use their area(s) of expertise to contribute to the planning and preparation of learning activities
    18. use their area(s) of expertise to plan their role in learning activities
    19. devise clearly structured activities that interest and motivate learners and advance their learning
    20. plan how they will support the inclusion of the children and young people in the learning activities, and
    21. contribute to the selection and preparation of resources suitable for children and young people's interests and abilities.

devise or plan?

7. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Interesting, as I thought that teachers weren't supposed to plan for their PPA time...!

8. Hi. At our school we have to plan and Mark any work that is done during our PPA! Unfortunately I don't feel brave enough to question this.
    Acceb

9. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

If you are on PPA then you do not have a class to plan for.

10. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I have a fantastic T.A. who covers my class for an afternoon a week. I plan for her, usually something practical. She does enough already and we work as a team. (We're primary). I would expect her to mark the work when necessary but sometimes this doesn't get done as she finishes at 3.30 and quite rightly goes home.
    I feel that HLTA's and T.A.'s are very undervalued and underpaid for the work they do. If I can help her out by doing the planning for an afternoon (10 minutes work) then I will.
    Also, I'm quite precious about my class and I want to know exactly what and how they will be learning.

11. I cannot understand why we should feel grateful for any PPA time that we get. Are we not entitled to it.
    As for the planning you do not plan for PPA time you only plan for the time you are actually teaching the children. In my old school HLTAs also covered PPA and we never planned for them but they were instructed by the head on what activities to teach. If the work was not marked I would just write PPA, I never taught it so I would not know what the expectation was.
    I sometimes wonder why we have unions who try and fight for our rights as half the people on here never seem to mind all the extra work they do even though they should not be doing it. Am I the only one who gets fed up of all the extra demands that are imposed upon us.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

PPA is basically an afternoon a week - not many hours so why waste this time planning and marking for a lesson you will not do. PPA is your time and a HLTA should be capable of planning a lesson. My HLTA was great - she took RE and music - my pet hates.

[​IMG]

13. I am a teacher who covers PPA time. I don't like it when you try to plan for me!

14. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

We lump our PPA together, so we have a whole day once a fortnight, at home. Bliss! Our classes are covered by a mix of HLTAs, Sports Coach, Head teacher and PPA supply. Snag is, we do have to plan for them.

15. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

Can't see PPA continuing when state primaries are forced into joining academy trusts by Sept 2011!!!

16. Shouldn't matter if your PPA is lumped together or not you do not have to plan for it.
    I hope the unions will fight for our PPA time Its needed with all the paper work we have to do that.

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Cat among the pigeon time again:
    If the teacher doing PPA cover gets no PPA of her own, she is NOT obliged to plan. Some schools do it this way and anyone doing PPA cover who DOESN'T get PPA should know this.

18. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We give HLTAs the medium term plans and let them get on with it. It's usually RE/Music/PE/Art, ie no marking!

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

And that says a lot about your attitude tot hose subjects!

[nothig personal, lardy]

20. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Our HLTA plans, marks and assess. She takes the bottom group 4/4 for English and Maths. She has allocated PPA time. Now and again if appropriate her group sometimes joins another set for team teaching of a topic. Ours is an extra bod rather than PPA cover. It means we can have 4 teaching sets from 3 classes. When my school was bigger we used to be able to afford 5 teaching sets from 4 classes. (all teachers teaching then as well!)