1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who pays for resourcing

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by adurling, Jan 27, 2019.

?

Who pays for resources?

1. Me

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Parents

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Both

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. adurling

adurling New commenter

Hi,

My first time posting here, I have been a tutor alongside teaching (primary) for many years but this year have switched to self-employed, full-time tutoring. I homeschool two local families, as they have £10+ hours a week from me I give them a significant discount (£20 an hour for two children rather than £35+). I have provided all resources so far apart from a couple of reading books I asked them to have a copy of. They are both coming up for the +11 exams and I want them to have the bond books etc needed.

I wondered what other peoples experiences are of resourcing. Do you provide everything? What is it ok to ask parents to provide?

I am finding that I am currently spending just under a quarter of my earnings on funding my business at the moment (including petrol) is this similar to other peoples experience?

Thank you in advance for any help! It is all greatly appreciated!

Abby

2. martin-batten

martin-batten New commenter

Hi

I provide everything. I add the cost of resource into the fee . With my 11+ Students, I give them to option of buying their own books for when we use them.

3. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

No, I wouldn't dream of providing books, parents can resource those. I do provide online resources that I pay for and give tutees access to. These are particularly useful as I can analyse their work, without wasting valuable tuition time.

4. gainly

gainly Established commenter

I would expect the parents to provide resources especially if they are being home schooled. You could offer to buy them for them but make it clear they would have pay for them.

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I buy resources but I don't leave them with a student
    I pay for them and claim the money back on my tax return
    In a home school situation I would ask them to buy their own if I needed to leave it there

6. BG54

BG54 New commenter

Each person's situation can be different of course but for my first three years as a self-employed tutor the deductible expenditure as a percentage of invoiced income went 31%, 16%, 14% and has now settled at around 10-12%. As with any new business start-up costs in the first year can be somewhat punitive.

7. golpep78

golpep78 New commenter

When I provide resources, I make sure it's part of the tutoring "fee/plan". If they state from the beginning that they just want to borrow the book, then I would rent the book out to them for cheaper.

8. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

Rather amazingly, the parent of one of my online students bought me resources, I've just received a brand new textbook in the post completely by surprise!

9. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I provide all resources and this is not accounted for in the fee. I prefer to supply because I can use again and build up library so to speak. I think the cost of tutoring is enough without extras.

I was recently given a very expensive electronics set by one family at the end of tutoring.

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Do you actually spend over £1,000 a year on resources and other expenses? I find I am much better off if I simply claim the £1,000 tax exemption for a small business instead of expenses.

SayItLikeItIs likes this.
  11. langteacher

I didn't know you could do that but yes I do. I teach languages and to keep my skills up to date for my third language I attend a school in Italy for a week each year Nice bit of CPD.

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

13. langteacher

I have a friend who does tuition I will let her know thank you

Piranha likes this.
  14. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I buy all my own resources so I can re use them.

I am currently doing 1 11+ student which I will spend a bit on the bond books for.