1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who or what on TV made you hide behind the sofa?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Sep 8, 2011.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Yes we all know The Daleks were supposed to make us hide behind the sofa as kids but they never quite had that effect on me.

For me, it was always that dwarf in 'The Singing Ringing Tree'

[​IMG]

So my question to the TES community is this - who or what on TV scared the living **** out of you as a child?

2. impis

impis New commenter

I loved "The Singing Ringing Tree" as a child!!! I now have it on DVD and sometimes show it in school. Strangely, it is a lot shorter than I remember as a child. I also have " The Red Balloon" on DVD - another of the "Tales from Europe" series .
    It was Dr Who which had me hiding behind the sofa as a child. I was terrified - and haven't really watched any Dr Who programmes since.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

There was a very early pre-dalek Doctor Who series that had me hiding behind the sofa. I remember some kind of giant ants.
    Other than that, it was the 1993 Nat West cricket final between Warwickshire and Sussex. Warks needed two runs off the last ball.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I was frightened by Sooty. I hated the way he bullied Harry Corbett, I felt so sorry for the way he was humiliated, the natural order of things seemed to be disturbed in a way I really didn't like.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Eughhhh.....evil looking little bugger scared the **** out of me but I so loved (and still love) the singing ringing tree!
    I was ok with the daleks, but the cybermen and yetis had me running for the back of the sofa!
    Night of the Demon was a bit unpleasant too in my youth!

6. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I was never bothered by tradition monster type scary stuff but Raggety, from the puppet version of Rupert the Bear, scared the bejeesus out of me. I still hate to think of it. It bounced along and just loooked so menacing. Horrible thing.

[​IMG]

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I don't know if anyone else remembers it but in the 60s there was a short series, I think it was called "Escape to the Night" or something similar, about a sick bed-ridden girl who did drawings and what she drew came into her dreams. The house was surrounded by a circle of stones that got closer and closer to her house. I have no idea how it ended but I do remember it scared the poop out of me

8. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

oooh, that sounds horrible, dizzy! Glad it was before my time... ;o)

9. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Infant

10. I know I got it a few years ago and it's only about an hour long - I'm sure when it was serialised on the telly it went on for weeks.

11. The Cybermen coming out of their hive during the Patrick Troughton incumbency of The Doctor.
    A film called "This Island Earth" when the nasty aliens......I'm sorry I can't carry on...I'm still traumatised.

12. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

The daleks when I was about 5. I've never watched Doctor Who because of it.

13. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Sapphire and Steel really put the wind up me, especially the episodes involving the character Shape. I recently bought the DVD and still had to look away when he came on. It was the brooding atmosphere that freaked me out.

14. essentiallyprincess

essentiallyprincess New commenter

the rabbits in Watership Down.

15. essentiallyprincess

the film - apparently there was a tv series I successfully managed to avoid.

16. essentiallyprincess

the film - I was successfully avoided the tv series.

17. Is English your first language or are you on an i phone?

18. essentiallyprincess

hmmm I don't have either excuse. It didn't post. It obviously did. It posted wrong. Can I use tiredness as an excuse?

19. Hell yes...as long as it is wine related. :¬))

20. I remember being terrified of the Escaped prisoner in the graveyard while watching 'Great Expectations'.