1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who needs a weather forecast when you have a...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

...cat!

They don't even get up if it's raining - although if it's warm rain they like to get soaked!

If it's warm we don't see them except at feeding time and if we go into the garden.

They do like snow - powdery, flaky stuff but not ice!

Could write a book about their habits.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As we don't have a cat I wouldn't know. But when I shared a house where there was a cat she certainly disliked 'the wet stuff'! ;)

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Our cat feels it is his duty to let us know if he got wet when going out by jumping on our lap on his return for a warm up. Most recently I discovered it had started raining last night just before I went to bed.

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Cats are always very helpful and considerate towards their human pets..:D

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

It must be a requirement of being a cat - to inform your hooman that you are wet and have been outside!!!

6. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

One of ours is still in bed (our bed) and has made a nest of the pillows and cushions. I went in a few mins ago to check she was still alive and all I got was a paw and ears poking out.

Goodness knows what she'll be like in the winter!!

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

My daughter's dog really does not like rain. When I take her out for a poop, she is straining on the lead to get back while I am still scooping. Then she legs it at full tilt back to the house. Luckily she is tiny so cannot pull me. As to the forecast, the one for yesterday showed us having heavy rain between 5 and 6 then lighter rain til this morning. It did not start raining until 7 this morning. Accurate eh? (PS I don't actually have a cat).

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

VampireKat loudly miaows at us if it's raining... as if somehow it's our fault ...

I point at his mum and blame her...

lizziescat, Marshall and agathamorse like this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

She gazes accusingly at the garden.
    Then she gazes accusingly at me.
    Aaaaaaaand.......repeat.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

But dog the third is the worst.

Bouncing around. Following me.

Are we going for a walk?
    No, it's like Noah's flood out there.
    But are we going for a walk?
    No, we're waiting for it to ease off.
    But are we?
    When it stops?
    Are we though?
    :mad::mad::mad:

11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I recall a book possibly by JG Ballard called "The Door into Summer" (it might have been scifi, might have been another author) but all I recall is that the house had several external doors and that the cat used to lead the chief character to every door for it to be opened to see outside because the cat was looking for "the door into summer". I'll google it!

Edit: Robert Heinlein, supposedly a classic scifi novel. I read it when I was about 15 (long, long ago in a galaxy far far away)

12. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Ooh, another recommendation for my 'Good Read' thread!

agathamorse, Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

My cats do this by rubbing their wet fur all over me - just so I understand it's been raining. They definitely prefer to be indoors when it's raining, but we all know how contrary cats are!

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I thought it was a sponge you need to tell the weather.

If it's wet, it's raining
    If it's dry, it's dry.
    If it's white, it's snowing
    If it's gone, it's windy
    If you can't see it, it's foggy.

15. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

How about a class of students.
    If they're wet it's raining.
    If only the bottom half of them is wet and your floor is covered with mud and grass then it was raining.
    If they're asking "why isn't the school closed" then it's snowing.
    If they're absolutely mental it's windy.
    If it stinks of BO it's hot and sunny.
    If their faces are pressed against the windows there's a thunderstorm.

16. Mangleworzle

:)

If they have all started shouting as a normal way of communication, it's warm and dry enough to be allowed on the field at lunchtime.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  17. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

It's taken my cat years to stop demanding to be let out of the opposite door she's tried already when it's raining (back or front of house) in case the weather is better on the other side.

lardylady, Dragonlady30 and Marshall like this.
  18. Mangleworzle

The cat loves my wife far more than me, he'll come and sit on my lap if she's not around, but as soon as he hears her, he'll jump up and go to her meowing, rubbing against her legs and jumping on anything to get near her. When my wife sees the cat, she loves to do something for him, feed him, let him if he's on the windowsill outside or let him out the front door to save him the inconvenience of using the cat flap.

Sometimes he comes in the cat flap in the back door and meows on seeing her, she hasn't realised he's just come in and opens the front door to let him out at which point he obliges by going out, well that didn't go according to plan - snigger.

Marshall likes this.
  19. colpee

colpee Star commenter

But hanging a cat up outside the door would be equally effective?

20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah, the kids too?
    I always thought that was just the PE teachers.