1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who manages our pensions?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by danih, Jun 27, 2011.

1. I have to be honest, I pay my pension each month and never ask any questions about how it is invested? I now have a list of questions.

1- Who manages our pensions and what 'cut' do they take?
    2. is there a seperate fund manager, what is their commison?
    3. How do we know if the money has been invested wisely or not?
    4. If somebody has a stake in our pensionsdo they incur penaltiies they if they do not perform?

I should have asked these questions along time ago.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I don't think it is invested. They just use current contributions to pay for current pensions. Which means that it is actually very hard to analyse the cost.

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

which of course the govt forgets to mention in their talk of gold-plated pensions which the country can not afford .... I'm sure their motives are pure.
    Our pensions are managed by Teachers Pensions (www.teacherspensions.co.uk), unfortunately run by Crapita - now there's something to keep you awake at night.

4. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I'd be very interested to look at the actual figures - how many teachers currently pay into the TPS? What were their total contributions for last year (including employee contributions)? How many ex-teachers currently draw a pension? What were their total payments last year? Do the two figures match?
    Would a freedom of information request be able to find out such information?